Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Warm Lovey



Recently my daughter has been asking for the hot water bottle when she takes her afternoon rest. Hot water bottles and rice bags (fabric bag filled with dry rice, nuked in the microwave) are such a comfort in cold Northern winters - good for tummy aches, sitting-still-jobs, and beds that bodies haven't warmed up yet.

And I love making rice bags and hot water bottle covers - a colorful scrappy project that doesn't have to match anything, like potholders. For the bottle cover, I messed around with the buttonhole function on my new Bernina when I made it last year: a good test run where the results are not on display as they would be in garments.



The frog came empty from someone else's stash and my friend estimates her great grandmother made him in the 60s. It was the work of 5 minutes to fill him with rice and sew shut. I very carefully experimented with microwaving him because of his vintage button eyes, but it works just fine to heat him up.

3 comments:

Marisa said...

My mom has been very into making rice bags of late. She always cuts open a bag or two of tea and adds it to the rice, so that the bag is a little bit fragrant when you take it out of the microwave. It's so nice.

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Now that the third trimester is upon me I would *love* to have a cozy hot water bottle to soothe some aches and pains. The rice bags are fun and easy to make, but the frog is the cutest one I've ever seen.

Meghan said...

I love, Love, LOVE that water bottle cover.