I don't go to the dry cleaner very often because I handwash the items at home. I do take the wool coats every spring before I put them away - but I usually find an online coupon for that. Home Comforts has some excellent advice for deciphering clothing labels.
Genevieve's red dress which I also handwashed. It wasn't terribly dirty and I wanted to be sure the white lace didn't pick up color from the wash water.
Related, I enjoyed reading this wonderfully clear, expert tutorial on handwashing wool sweaters. I like details like this!
Now, sort of related, I am hoping you want to play along with Shoestring Chic this Wednesday. I wanted to post an everyday outfit today, but the photos were junk except for this head shot. . . which doesn't show you my clothes!
To play along:
1. get dressed
2. take a photo
3. tell us the cost (and the story, if you like) of each piece of clothing
4. add up the total
5. blog about it, link to my Wednesday post and. . .
6. add your blog post to the Mr. Linky here
7. and if you don't have a blog or a camera, play along in the comments please.
Rules of the Game
1. items that you have owned longer than 10 years are free
2. handsewn items are the cost of the material and pattern - but discount the pattern if you used it more than once
3. if you don't exactly remember the price, guesstimate
4. be proud of our thrift! We can dress well and look good for pennies.
I'm hoping this is a fun peek into our lives and closets. I'm hoping we are inspired by others. I'm excited to see what you all wear!
Sounds good to me, only taking a full length picture will be challenging!( of me).;)
Thanks for the helpful links. It's pretty often that I opt for handwashing over the dry cleaners... I hate the dry cleaners.
Oh wow! The "how to wash a wool sweater" tutorial is WONDERFUL! I've added it to my sidebar. Any guesses as to what I'm going to be doing today?
Hey! I've never seen your hair like that before. It looks fab!
Next time, I think handmade items should count as $0. As a non-clothes-sewer I'm totally willing to have the work and effort put out by those so able cancel out the cents for fabric, pattern etc. But I bow to your judgement.
Good day! I was so impressed to have seen a great artwork. You've done a great job.Well, thank you for sharing your talent and article it is very well appreciated by me. You can also visit my site if you have time.
You have a wonderful blog and it is quite unique and interesting. Keep it up and hope to read more updates from your blog.
Post a Comment