Monday, January 25, 2010

Sunday Dinner: Not Quite Corn Pone

On Saturday, I soaked some beans for a few hours, then cooked and seasoned them. I was planning to put corn pone on time-bake while we were at church. But
On Saturday night when I was looking over final plans, I realized that I probably could not do corn pone on time-bake because the beans are supposed to be hot when you dollop the cornbread batter on top; plus, the batter just has baking soda in it and I haven't experimented with the night kitchen method for baking soda baked goods. I considered putting the beans on timed-bake to be hot when we got home and then putting the batter on top, but it has to bake for 30 minutes. That seemed a bit long for my goal.
Too late to change plans entirely, I just defrosted cornbread and we ladled seasoned, juicy beans over cornbread for Sunday dinner. Just fine, and rather plain, to balance the rich 7-Layer Salad. This is a standard of Mennonite potlucks because it must be assembled entirely ahead of time and it's just dang good.

First Genevieve helped me wash and tear spinach for the first layer.



Then I used what I had: defrosted peas, chopped celery, grated carrot, chopped hard boiled eggs, and chopped spring onions. Just so you know, Mom, I do have the "correct" recipe!



The final three layers are a mayonnaise dressing, grated cheese and bacon bits.



Before going to church, I put the beans in the oven in my covered Dutch oven and set the timed baked for 40 minutes at 350, to finish at noon. When we got home, I had hot beans, defrosted corn bread, and a salad in the fridge. All we had to do was set the table. I squeezed in a quick photo.



UPDATED

7-Layer Salad Recipe (from my mother)
1 med head lettuce, dried and torn
1 c. diced celery
1 c. frozen peas, defrosted
1/2 c. diced green pepper ( I usually use grated carrots)
1 c. sweet onion, diced

Layer ingredients, starting with lettuce, in order given in large shallow pan - a glass 9x13 is best. 

Spread dressing over top, sealing edges:
1 and 1/2 c. mayo
2 Tbs. sugar
a little glug of vinegar

Sprinkle with:
1 and 1/4 c. grated Swiss
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

Cover tightly.  Refrigerate at least 8-10 hours. Serves 6-8 as a side dish. A very sturdy salad that keeps well in the fridge.  I do substitute vegetables - sometimes I use spinach instead of lettuce - and sometimes I add fresh parsley in addition to the bacon on top.  You can add sliced hardboiled eggs to the veggie layers too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that salad looks delish! Would you mind posting the recipe for the mayonnaise dressing? Thanks!

Birdy