Saturday, January 23, 2010

Saturday Morning Pancakes



From my childhood, I remember my mother making pancakes on Saturday mornings and my dad putting on John Denver and turning it up loud. Such good memories, that I recreated this tradition in my family.



I use a homemade pancake mix from More with Less.

Combine in a large bowl:
6 c. flour (I use 3 c. WW, 1/2 c. cornmeal, and 1.5 c. white flour)
1 Tbs. salt
6 Tbs. baking powder
3 Tbs. sugar
2 c. powdered milk

Mix and store in airtight container.
To use, beat together in bowl:
1 egg
1 1/4 c. water
2 Tbs. oil

Add 1 1/2 c. pancake mix and mix as briefly as possible - lumps are normal. Fry on hot cast iron griddle from Aunt Elena. Serves 2-4.

The children and I eat ours with peanut butter and syrup. My husband sniffs and gets the butter dish. Occasionally I put applesauce or blueberries in the pancakes, but there is usually protest, so I guess the tradition is established in all its details.

No comments: