Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bruschetta with Grilled Bread

On the day I did corn, we had grilled corn on the cob and bruschetta with grilled bread, meaning, I hope you see, that supper did not heat up my house.


I always felt bruschetta wasn't worth the bother of eating, but neither did I ever eat a home cook's version.  Well, this bruschetta was a revelation and I'm so glad I decided to make it instead of my old faithful tomato sandwiches.  Now the bruschetta will be an old faithful too! 



Bruschetta with Grilled Bread (from Simply in Season, halved and very slightly tweaked)

Combine and allow to sit at room temperature while you prepare the bread:

2 large heirloom tomatoes, diced
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese, diced (I bet you could use fresh)
1/4 c. green olives, chopped
1//4 c. extra virgin, really good olive oil
1/4 c. fresh basil, chopped
1 Tbs. lemon zest
1 Tbs. capers with brine
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
fresh ground pepper, to taste

For Grilled Bread: 
Grill what you will eat at one sitting, preferably a good baguette or Italian loaf.  Just lay the slices on a hot grill (failing that, just toast them).  When you see grill marks, flip and allow the other side to get marked.  You should have a slightly toasted, great-smelling piece of bread.

Pile some bruschetta on a slice of bread and lean over.  It's messy and so so so good.  Even halved, we had some leftovers and it was great for lunch the next day straight out of the fridge on toast.

2 comments:

You Can Call Me Jane said...

I love this recipe. We throw in a little zucchini relish- it makes it slightly sweet. Divine:-).

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Simple and delicious... most importantly, cool!