Monday, February 22, 2010

Sunday Dinner: Curry and Rice



Because I was the songleader in church, I needed an easy Sunday dinner. So I thawed a container of Red Lentil Coconut Curry (recipe from Simply in Season) on Saturday. Also on Saturday, I made a winter cabbage salad. On Sunday morning, I put the curry in a covered casserole, put 1.5 c. jasmine rice and 2.5 c. water in another covered casserole. I set the oven on timed bake for 350 degrees for 1 hour, to end just as we walked in the door from church.

When we got home from church, all I needed to do was set the table and put some coconut and raisins in little dishes to garnish the curry.



I did a little experiment with the jasmine rice: I wanted to put some cardamom pods in the water, but in my hasty rummage, all I could lay my hands on was whole coriander. So I put in maybe 10 whole coriander. It was not enough to make the rice fragrant, so next time I will double it or give myself more time to root through my spices in the freezer.

Updated for Beth:

Red Lentil Coconut Curry (from Simply in Season, with some modifications)

At some point while something is simmering, cook 2 cups lentils (red preferred, but I have used whatever) in 4.5 c. water.

In large pot, saute:
1 large onion
coconut oil or ghee

Add and reduce heat to low. Cook and stir constantly for 3 minutes, being careful not to let spices and onion brown:
2 Tbs. minced garlic
2 Tbs. minced ginger root
2-3 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp EACH termeric, cumin, pepper
1/4 tsp. red pepper
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2-3 bay leaves

Add and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often:
1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 c. tomato sauce

Add the cooked red lentils and their water to the pot.

Add and cook over medium just until tender - 10-15 minutes:
partial or whole head cauliflower, in florets
1-2 sweet potatoes, chunked (can use carrots if you want to freeze it)
1/4 head cabbage
(vegetables are flexible - can add peas at end, or edamame or sub regular potatoes or squash for the sweet potatoes)

Serve over brown rice with toppings like nuts, raisins, coconuts or pineapple; good with Indian chutneys on the side too.

No comments: