Monday, February 1, 2010

Sunday Dinner: Asian Crockpot Beef



Before stomach flu took over our house, I had already put a beef bolar roast in the fridge to thaw for Sunday. That was Thursday.

Fortunately, I had planned an easy Sunday dinner; I was still recovering energy.

Asian Crockpot Beef (recipe from my dear friend Rebecca)

Place in crockpot:
3 lb. beef roast (a little heavier or lighter probably doesn't matter)

Put around/over the roast:
1 sliced onion
6 garlic cloves
2" piece ginger root, peeled and chopped

Mix together and pour over all:
2/3 c. soy sauce
1 c. red wine
2 Tbs. brown sugar

Cook on low for 6 hours (I had 5 hours so I turned my cooker to high for an hour and turned it down when we left). I also sprinkled just a bit of powdered ginger and powdered garlic in at the end - a slow cooker can sometimes destroy nuanced flavors, in my opinion. Shred with 2 forks. Serve on top of rice or Asian noodles.

I put brown rice in the oven (same proportions as white rice, same as stovetop) in a covered casserole. Timed bake for 1 hour, 10 minutes.

The night before I made a winter cabbage salad, adding some chopped scallions and rice vinegar to emphasize the Asian flavors. In the summer, I use Thai basil from my little garden.



If you've never had beef cooked in soy sauce, you should try it; the salt tenderizes the beef and the cooking mellows the whole thing into richness. You must have a crisp, clean tasting accompaniment for it such as pickled ginger, lightly steamed snow peas or broccoli, or an endive salad with oranges.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Sounds delicious. I'm going to try it. I'll let you know how it goes.

I hope you're feeling better.

A said...

I tried it! Didn't seem QUITE as succulent as the original at your house, but still I was quite pleased. Steamed some snow peas and carrots to mix in with it as desired.