Monday, October 1, 2012

Yogurt in Glass Half-Pints


Rebecca mentioned an article to me about how the chemical BPA in plastic is likely one of the factors in the alarming rise of childhood obesity.


I suddenly realized that I was using plastic yogurt cups from the 1970s in my yogurt incubator.  My next thought was substituting glass half-pint jars instead.  It works!   And it's so much more aesthetically pleasing: a reminder to myself to step back and look at my routines sometimes, to see what can be improved.

I get the screw-top lids at an Amish store, but you could just use the canning lids and rings.

6 comments:

Hazel said...

BPA and childhood obesity? Haven't heard that one. Hmmm. Though is it because obese children are likely to consume more processed foods and thereby probably more BPA?

I do make my yogurt in glass containers anyway (better to be safe than sorry), and you're right- it looks nicer too!

Margo said...

Something about how BPA messes with the metabolism of growing children. It's a new study - Rebecca's husband is a doctor and reads medical journals. You can see how diligent and thorough my own research is! (Ha)

Polly said...

Plastics, gah!!! Good for you for the clever fix....

Hazel said...

I get to the point where I just don't want to know anymore.
But the more I do know, the more I wonder when we all got it so wrong...

Thanks for the info Margo.

loves2spin said...

Aren't those half-pint jars? I'm glad they fit! That is nice!

Margo said...

Ah, yes. HALF pints :)