Friday, October 5, 2012

Traveling Silverware Rolls

I often pack up our place settings for picnics, potlucks, or church meals.  I've got thrift store plates, mugs, bread plates, and bowls.



Up until last week, I would grab some dinner napkins and silverware to go with the picnic stuff.  My husband frowned on that, as he recalls digging through drawers in the church basement, trying to find a missing spoon. 


I suddenly realized that I could buy four knives, forks, and spoons from the thrift store and set them aside for just taking places.  Is this not an obvious solution?  It only took me about 6 years to come to it.


Then my mind worked a little more quickly and came up with a clever way to get the napkins and silverware along on the picnic.  It's efficient, cheap, and nice to look at!  I took those four cloth napkins I bought for no good reason and stitched bright pockets on them.  The pockets are thin enough so the napkin is still useful as a napkin, but secure enough so the silverware stays tucked in there for the ride.  I fold the top of the napkin down over the pocket and roll it up. 

 
It feels good to have solved a household problem so satisfactorily!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful idea! I'm going to try this too. I like to bring dishes on our picnics too - saves money on buying plastic/paper : )

I have bought thrift store flatware and plastic dishes for our camping trips so that I don't use paper (less waste) and I don't pull anything from the home kitchen.

BLD in MT said...

Oooh, I like it! What a great idea.

loves2spin said...

How nice! Your comment about how long it took you to come up with this idea reminded me of when it suddenly occurred to me that I could use my food processor to make the "bread and butter" pickles cucumber slices. I had gotten the processor 2 years before, but continued to slice all those cukes by hand. Duh. Now, I can knock that task out in a matter of moments! I LOVE your idea! They would make nice gifts, too. Thank you!

Zoë said...

This is a splendid idea! I will make these ASAP. But just yesterday I chopped off the tip of my finger with my rotary cutter so it may be a while til I'm back at the sewing machine!

Melanie said...

What a great idea! I'm going to keep my eyes open at the thrift store for such materials. Brilliant!

Margo said...

oh, Zoe, do take care!

Anonymous said...

It's a great idea! Good-looking, clever, functional. No more orphaned knives, forks, or spoons!

jenny_o said...

What a nice feeling, I agree. These are a great solution and so cheery.

Naomi Weaver said...

Margo, followed a more recent blog back to this blog. Just want to say that I'm proud of your creativity and your determination to do your part to cut down on the use of disposables. I can learn from you. Love, Ma