In the dusk, just home from a day at my job, after biking the 10 miles home. I am so proud of myself!
I am fortunate enough to take the bus out to my job in the morning, with my bike on the bus rack. Then in the evening, I bike the 10 miles home. It's a beautiful ride, a perfect antidote to a desk job (even a desk job I love).
I aim to bike home once a week, but between a rainy summer and wintry dark and cold, I don't get out there so often anymore.
I bike because
1. my husband thinks it's cool
2. it's exercise
3. it feels a little like flying
4. I'm proud of myself (10 miles was a really big deal to me when I started)
5. I get to pass buggies sometimes
The equipment I use/acquired to make this bike ride possible:
1. my old Schwinn bike
3. sunglasses with mirror attached
4. padded biking shorts
5. running tights to wear under the shorts for warmth
6. blinking taillight and headlight
7. bike rack with saddlebags for change of clothes, lunch, and book to read on the bus
Riding my bike home from work is not directly thrifty (the equipment, even carefully researched and bought, cost money), but the way it soothes my mind and exercises my body is a wonderful bargain for me.
3 hours ago