Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Applesauce, Apple Chutney, Apple Crisp

Half bushel of apples:  $12.95 this year (it was $5 last year).  I again bought squash for the front porch, and cheap cheap cheap broccoli.

First I made a batch of apple chutney with extra jalapeno from Simply in Season - 6 pints.


Then I made 10 quarts of applesauce, and kept out a few apples for apple crisp.  I have it mastered for my family's taste - and we had some homemade butter pecan ice cream to put on it.  Yum.


And then my husband took apart the garden, and I had a counter crowded with green tomatoes and little green peppers.  I had been relaxed and luxurious about the apples, but the dang fruit flies took over the tomatoes, so I made a half batch of Country Style Sweet Relish, also from Simply in Season.  And I put about 1/3 cup of "optional" horseradish in it, can I get an amen? 8 half pints, 2 pints.


Now my canning cupboard is quite full.  Amen!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

We're making applesauce and canning apple pie filling this week....our favorite this year: Apple pie made with just golden delicious apples -sweet and mild : )

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

If it was me, I probably would've made the apple crisp first, partaken of it, generously, and then stopped. You rock!

Kristen said...

We did some apple picking over the weekend, and I've got an apple pie and fresh applesauce headed my way! I love all the things you can do with apples.

Sylvia said...

A-a-a-men! Amen! Amen!

BLD in MT said...

Amen indeed! It can be a lot of work, but in the end it is worth every minute!

Beth said...

I will give a double amen on the horseradish. I LOVE the stuff. You've done beautifully, Margo. Pass the crisp, please.

I've enjoyed your posts lately, though I have not commented...I'm always checking in!

Sarah Barry said...

I see an apple crisp in my near future. Yum.

kyleann33 said...

Wow, that apple crisp with homemade ice cream looks delicious! I made apple crisp tonight, but it was sadly lacking homemade ice cream to top it off. I'll have to check out that apple chutney recipe, I love everything we've tried from Simply in Season.