Monday, October 10, 2011

Sunday Dinner: Cottage Potatoes

I had leftover baked potatoes in the fridge - usually I shred them and freeze them for hashbrowns.  This time, I used a recipe for Cottage Potatoes.  I've seen this recipe around a few times and at the end of the post is my take on it.  First, though, here is how I put together Sunday dinner:



Thursday:thaw ground beef in fridge

Friday:
mix up Poor Man's Steak and spread in pan

Saturday:fry Steak
make mushroom sauce - pour over steak, back in fridge
put together Cottage Potatoes



Sunday morning:set potatoes and steak on timed bake

Sunday noon:
make green salad
set table



Cottage Potatoes, Thrift at Home Style

Mix together gently in large baking dish:

6 medium cooked potatoes, cubed (I don't peel them)
1 onion, diced
1/2-1 cup tasty cheese, but not too sharp, cubed
1 1/3 cup hearty bread cubes
2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary (or 3/4 Tbsp. dried)
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper

Pour over:
3 Tbsp. melted butter

Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake for 10-15 minutes.  Yesterday, I baked it at 300 for 1 1/2 hours alongside the Poor Man's Steak - and I forgot to cover it!  And it was fine.

Traditional recipes leave out the rosemary and add green bell pepper.  You can see how easy it is to tweak the flavors here.  It's a rustic, comforting potato dish and your house will smell fabulous.

5 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Last week I scored great deals on ground beef and a huge bag of potatoes. I woke-up this morning thinking, what on earth am I going to make for dinner? I think you just provided the answer to my wonderings!

Tracy said...

Yum on both accounts!

Sarah Barry said...

a feast! i adore a good Sunday dinner but i'm not organized about putting it together. i like how you showed your schedule. think - plan - do ahead. that's what i need to do.

kyleann33 said...

I made this for dinner tonight, delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I had never heard of cottage potatoes before. I used fresh rosemary, and our house still smells wonderful.

Mr. Thrift said...

Mr. Thrift testifies to the deliciousness of these potoatoes. A must try.