Friday, October 28, 2011

A New Snack

The answer to most food dilemmas:  roast it.  I used to think that only root vegetables and meat were roasted.  No, friends, you can do leafy things like kale and cabbage.  And now, I have discovered, you can roast garbanzo beans.

Nothing will stop me from roasting other beans, except that I haven't gotten around to it yet.


And do you know the roasted green peas with a little wasabi coating?  Yes, I'm going to (eventually) try to make those as well.

Anyway, the whole family loves these roasted garbanzos.


I sent some in Genevieve's lunch with a bell pepper and cheese sandwich and Middle Eastern spiced yogurt, something A introduced me to this summer.  I would like to report that Genevieve's palate was educated, but what actually happened was that she sniffed the yogurt in the school cafeteria and reported to me later that "it smelled like something was wrong."


Today, she told me she only took one bite of her broccoli and threw the rest away.  Hoo boy.  We had a sharp little talk about not wasting food. 

I should marshall my thoughts and brief experiences and do a post on packed lunches, I suppose.  I'll work on it.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Roasted sounds good. Someone just told me about roasting their corn (not popcorn) and how it has just the right amount of crunch...
I'll have to try some of these ideas!

BLD in MT said...

Though I have never roasted just chickpeas alone I have roasted them in combination with other things (onions, root veg, etc) and have always been quite satisfied. I have a recipe at home for some "Chickpea Nibbles" which are seasoned and roasted chickpeas. Its been at the front of my To-Try section for far too long.

I think everything is fantastic roasted. Everything!

Deanna Beth said...

Ooh, I would love to see a post on packed lunches. Also, I'm wondering what is the end product like of the roasted garbanzos? Crunchy? How do you prepare them?

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Roasted garbanzo beans... I had no idea. I'm going to try this for sure. I wonder if my oldest will be willing to take them in his lunch.

Lisa said...

They don't get hard? Well, I guess not, but they're "harder" than any other bean, so I wondered. Did you use canned? Does it matter? Something to remember!

Margo said...

DB and Lisa, they are crunchy. If you've ever had soynuts or corn nuts, they're similar. DB, follow the link to MommyCoddle, although it's VERY easy: pat dry, toss with olive oil and salt, 30-40 minutes at 425.

Lisa, I don't think it matters if you start with canned or home cooked. I used home cooked, but MommyCoddle, where I got the recipe, used canned.

Crystal said...

I'm right with you about school lunches. It doesn't help that most of the other students quickly attach - 'yuck' and 'weird' to anything that isn't familiar. It's hard to predict what Anika will eat in her lunch. I have also had to teach her to bring home the leftovers.

I discovered roasted garbanzos one time when I was cooking some and let the pot run out of liquid. Maybe that's not exactly roasted, but the ones that weren't burnt were quite yummy. Thanks for reminding me. Maybe this time, I can follow a recipe and do it the right way.

Margo said...

Crys, I SO AGREE with your first paragraph. G told me the other day that her friend was telling G to "throw your sandwich away because it stinks!" It was an egg salad sandwich. sighhhh

Sarah Barry said...

Every since you posted this, I see roasted garbanzo beans EVERYWHERE on the www.

Now I'm super curious.

I can't wait to try these. Another healthy option for "crunch with my lunch."