Thursday, April 15, 2010

Homemade Nutella



I suppose I should call this "chocolate hazelnut spread," but let's cut to the chase and say "Nutella." Beloved Nutella - until now a treat for European vacations or a grocery store splurge.

But it's easy to make! I used the recipe from Angry Chicken here (I used #1, the recipe that's actually typed there, not linked to somewhere else).

Toasting the hazelnuts. . .




Of course my children think this is the bomb, yo, because we are stingy with the candy around here. In my opinion, this is a moderately healthy breakfast because the hazelnuts are nutritious, cream is surely fine for my active, skinny kids, and chocolate just makes you feel GOOD.



For a bit of balance, we did have applesauce with breakfast too. The adults had cafe au lait, the children had milk.



To the right, Genevieve is wearing a flannel nightie. Stay tuned for a summer version!

10 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I'm cracking up that your girl is "reading" the coupon insert! Mmmm, nutella -- love it!

Margo said...

Christian, yes, I'm afraid that my husband and I do not share the paper very well and try to fob the children off with the inserts. I hope we're not creating rabid consumers just because we want the newspaper all to ourselves. . .

A said...

Unfortunately, after having a food supply of only bread, Nutella, Tang, (and maybe an occasional apple)on a post-college, around the U.S., three-week train trip, I can't stand the stuff. Eating it just makes me feel a bit motion-sick and long for money to spend in a dining car.

Deanna Beth said...

You ARE the bomb, yo! Too funny.

Jennifer Jo said...

I've never been able to get into Nutella. Maybe something is profoundly wrong with me? Yours looks delicious though....

Janelle said...

We ROUTINELY eat peanut butter and Nutella on English muffins (whole wheat of course!) for breakfast around here. I'm wondering whether it's actually cheaper to make your own with the Ghirardelli and all? Or is it so much more delicious?

Margo said...

Janelle, the PB variation is, of course, even healthier!

I'm surprised at how similar homemade and commercial Nutella actually taste - I just like to make things. David thinks the hazelnut flavor is different, for better or worse.

And you don't have to use Ghirardelli (although I do buy it on sale for $1.50 a bar); one time I used cocoa powder with butter and oil or some such (I have the exact substitution written down in the kitchen, which is too far away for me to walk right now).

Beth said...

Pass the jar, I want some! Looks great!

Anonymous said...

Had to go out and pick up a jar to try after this post. Chocolate for brekky? Oh, my, what a delicious excuse!

Robin

BLD in MT said...

I can't believe I never thought to make my own.... Your kids are right. You ARE the bomb. Thanks a million.