Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Little Soap Bags

I always let my bars of soap dry out and harden for a while before I use them.  Suddenly last week (my new room has unleashed lots of ideas), I thought I could let them scent the closets while they do that.


I whipped up several little net bags with ribbon handles. I put a bar of soap in each one and hung them in my closets.


I gave one to my mom on Mother's Day with a bar of rose soap.  Genevieve is carrying one around these days with a bar of white Dove in it.  My little room smells of "1000 Flowers." (I have not forgotten my promise to take pictures of the rooms to show you - I'm just happily buried in sewing projects.)

Is this not genius?  My soap gets dry, the closets smell nice, and there is no musty, used-up dried sachet to throw away.  I am so pleased.

12 comments:

jodi said...

that IS totally genius! I haven't bought bar soap recently because it always gets mushy and stuck in the corner of the bathroom oozing away until I can't stand it anymore. Great idea and beautiful gift!

simplicityinthemaking said...

Wonderful Idea and cute to boot.

Laura {a spoonful of joy} said...

what a creative idea! this would make a sweet little gift.

BLD in MT said...

You got to love those light bulb turns on, stroke of brilliance ideas, right?! That is certainly a good one. Way better than a sachet.

Unknown said...

Definitely genius! I'm going to be trying this too : )

Beth said...

Oooh, you are ever so clever.

And the little sacks are very pretty and feminine. Put some in your shop.

Margo said...

dear Beth, I think I will do just that. They are so fun to make up.

A said...

Genius. And lovely. Like you.

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

SO CUTE!!! Love the little bags..great idea.

Jo said...

Excellent idea!

Deanna Beth said...

I must be in the Low Reading Group for soap users. I don't know what you mean by letting the soap bars dry out, for I don't think they are wet when they come out of the package. How does it change how they behave? I've never heard of this.

Margo said...

DB, it's something my mother taught me. She removes bars of soap from their wrappers and lets them sit for a while in the closet before she uses them. It allows the soap to harden in the air, and then it lasts longer when it's actually used. Some people say this is an old wives' tale, but I'm sure their soap never lasts as long as mine.