Monday, September 6, 2010

Goat's Milk to Drink, Eat, and Suds

"Fresh goat's milk," I read a sign absently as we drove past a farm last week. 
"Mom!  Can we get some??" shrieked Genevieve.  She's been reading Heidi, and Heidi's meals are bread, cheese, and goat's milk (terribly unbalanced).

So we did.  It's whole raw milk, and I confess we're not terribly fond of it.

But the cheese!  I told the farmer I wanted the strongest stuff he had, and it was magnificent last evening with popcorn and apples.

And the soap.  I adore a bar of soap to wash my hands - no liquid soap for us (which makes my children seem clean and prissy because they work the pumps so eagerly at other peoples' houses).

After taking the photo of the pretty bar, I loosened its wrappings and tucked it in my basket of bars.  I believe (although it's disputed) that the soap hardens and then lasts longer if it sets out in the air for weeks or months.  I keep our bath soap in a metal basket on the back of the john - bathrooms need all the good clean scent they can get.

3 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I love, love goat's milk soap for bathing, especially for my face. Thanks for the tip on letting the soap harden; I'm going to try this.

Anonymous said...

We loooooooove some goat cheese in this house. There's a local place where we buy small tubs of the stuff (our favorite is sundried tomato) and it never lasts a week.

BLD in MT said...

I've never had goat milk, but I sure do love goat cheese. When I was in Europe that was what I ate all day long. Okay, maybe not ALL day.

I am going to try out your hardening bars of soap theory. It certainly can't hurt and if it lasts longer then why not?!