Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Easiest Rhubarb Sauce Ever on Toned-Down Baked Oatmeal

A Preface:  My family is not terribly keen on rhubarb, but it is local, healthy, and cheap.  It will be making an appearance on our table.  No one is allowed to complain, but no one chooses rhubarb for their birthday meal.



I recently discovered that the apples I had been buying all winter were not local since January.  And the potatoes that I thought came from a local farm, had been shipped in from California until the local potatoes are ready in two weeks.  Unfortunately, both products were presented in a way that made me think they were local.  I think it's fine to ship food within reason (I love lemons, for example), but I am very firmly against lack of information and the sense of entitlement to any food in any season.  Hence, it seems reasonable to me to eat rhubarb and strawberries right now.



Easiest Rhubarb Sauce

1. Chop 1 pound of rhubarb into rough 1-2" pieces.  Place in casserole. 
2. Pour in 1/4 or 1/3 cup sugar.  Cover. 
3. Bake at whatever temperature your other stuff is baking, for about 20-30 minutes.  The rhubarb should be completely soft, some of it dissolved into shreds.  It is not attractive. 
4. Allow to cool.  Puree in blender or with a stick blender.  Consider adding a drop (a drop!) of red food coloring. (I resisted temptation in these photos.) 
5. Serve warm or chilled, just as you would applesauce.  And if you like to jazz up applesauce with ginger or cinnamon or something, you could probably do that here too.  Or serve as a sauce over dessert biscuit or tapioca.

I served it for breakfast with a new variation of baked oatmeal that I am in love with.  I cut the sugar back even more, axed the cinnamon, and added a smidge of vanilla.  The idea came from Marilou's Favorite Oatmeal Cookies.  For simplicity's sake, I'll just re-type the oatmeal recipe here.


Margo's Toned-Down Baked OatmealIn blender, mix very well on high:
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/4 c. oil
1/4 c. plain yogurt
1/3 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. vanilla

Grease a 9x9 baking dish.
Pour in 3 c. quick oatmeal (I use part rolled oats).
Pour liquids in on top, mix evenly.
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
Serve warm with milk, yogurt, applesauce, or saucy fruit.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Shame on faux local sellers! I did buy some well traveled potatoes yesterday. Have to have something to go with all the lettuce.

Margo said...

Well, that was what Earl told me about the potatoes. He said he was keeping up a tradition his father started.

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Don't you wish,, they would just put up the correct info, and let the customer decide, if they want it or not??
The recipe sounds good.

BLD in MT said...

We are not the keenest on rhubarb either, but since our new house had two plants we want to learn. Thanks for the recipe. I will give it a go!

Anonymous said...

easy rhubarb punch:
equal parts chopped rhubarb and water (multiply to fit how much rhubard you have), simmer till rhubarb is soft. a)add 1/4 cup sugar per cup raw rhubarb, blend and chill OR b)cool, add sweetener to taste and blend.
Chill. Mix half and half with clear soda (sprite, etc.) with lots of ice. Adults may enjoy this with a little gin added. Try it - I'd bet even the little ones will like this old-fashioned refreshment. If you freeze rhubarb you can make whenever you need a taste of spring.
Chris S.

loves2spin said...

As they say, "Great minds think alike!" LOL ~
http://www.simplyhomemaking60.blogspot.com/2012/05/stewed-rhubarb.html