Saturday, May 28, 2011

First Strawberries on Dessert Biscuit

I almost titled this post "finally" because it feels like we've been waiting for strawberries for ages with worries that the excessive rain was rotting them, but here they are, only a few days later than last year



We had our first strawberry shortcake on Tuesday, by which I mean strawberries, whipped cream, and some kind of cake-ish thing.  When I grew up, it was "cottage pudding" from Mennonite Community which was really a short cake.  I sometimes make Carla's Hot Milk Sponge Cake from More with Less, but here it was dessert biscuit following Rebecca's instructions.


To my whole wheat biscuit recipe, I add an egg and a little sugar.  I pat it into an 8x8 pan and bake it about 10 minutes longer.  Cut into squares, break open, top with lightly sugared, sliced strawberries and freshly whipped cream.

4 comments:

Polly said...

The first strawberries are such a joy!! We've moved on to the first cherries; I've eaten as many as I pitted and there's a buttermilk-spelt cobbler about to slide into the oven. Ahhh, printemps!!!!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Yummo! I could eat a big serving right now! I think your girl enjoyed her strawberries; I can't get my strawberry girl to stop eating them!

Stephanie said...

Those pictures of Evie are hilarious!

BLD in MT said...

That middle photos is just too wonderful.