Saturday, April 16, 2011

Latino Frying Cheese

It really is labeled "Frying Cheese" at the Latino grocery store a few blocks over.  I don't know more than that!  I can't quite remember what led me to buy this cheese a few years ago, or how I knew what to do with it.  It's only about $4 a pound - not expensive for cheese.  And you slice it up, toss it in a frying pan, and it tastes so good, like grilled cheese good, only faster.

We like it with any food remotely Latino.  Here it was burritos with cabbage salad.

I like exploring ethnic grocery stores.. . .fingering exotic ingredients, peeking at the other customers' carts and clothing. . .the reminder that I am very white, middle-class American and not everybody is.  It's what I like about thrift stores, too, versus the mall: the thrill of fulfilling my shopping list with what's available or scrapping the list altogether, the way my taste is shifted and broadened by seeing things I didn't know existed.  What do you think?

9 comments:

Janelle said...

Love this explanation: "the way my taste is shifted and broadened by seeing things I didn't know existed..." You nailed it! Also, the cheese looks great. Also on my list of things to try this summer is haloumi, a greek cheese that is typically grilled.

Margo said...

Didn't know about haloumi until you mentioned it. Mmmmmm - grilling.

Unknown said...

I really like cheese with other things, but it's a bit strong on it's own for me sometimes. One of my all-time favorites is tomatoe soup and grilled cheese sandwiches ; )
We have some new families at church and it's been fun exchanging recipes at potluck after services! : )

Polly said...

Yes! I love going places where I know I'll encounter fresh new things--unusual ingredients, unique fabrics, unexpected goodies!! I love antique stores for this reason, too--examining the items of another era!

A said...

OK, so I don't remember that this was actually fried, but talking of cheese and other places reminded me of being at a restaurant in Nogales, Mexico where "Queso Menonita" was on the menu--"Mennonite Cheese" named after the colony Mennonites who first started producing and selling it in the region. Apparently it's quite popular and others now make it too.

Sylvia said...

I spent my whole life thinking I didn't like cheese. Then I discovered goat cheese. Oh yum! And extra cream cow's cheese with herbs. Yes, shifting and broadening are good!

Deanna Beth said...

What a great perspective.

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I couldn't agree more, although this approach to shopping is very challenging in a small town in the Deep South.

Anonymous said...

With your interest in ethnicity and the layers of privilege that skin color (unfortunately) afford or deny in the U.S. You should consider attending the Anti-racism training offered by Damascus Road at Sunnsyside MC in May. You'd find it fascinating and helpful, I bet. Btw, this is Jean.