Friday, April 20, 2012

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins - Easy and Healthy Enough for Breakfast

Remember when I was looking for a recipe for lemon poppyseed muffins?  Oh my word, it was exactly a year ago! (What is going on? Help me analyze this).



I didn't find one (then!) that was easy or healthy enough for breakfast. I guess I'm picky about muffins. I like to eat them for breakfast or snacks. I like them healthy (why? I'm not sure - "muffin" just says "not indulgent" to me). I like them to be straightforward; if I want fancy, I'll make scones or a yeast-raised treat.



I made the millet muffins in Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Every Day.  They were much too rich, and used butter.  I maintain that oil works best in quick breads and muffins (but quick breads are tricky to bake without the middle being goopy and the edges too dark).  However, I loved the texture of the millet in the muffins.


And I got serious and fiddled with recipes until I got one I like.  Straightforward.  Healthy. Easy enough for breakfast (no lemon glaze, which seems to be the popular approach to lemon poppyseed muffins).



Thrift at Home Lemon Poppyseed Muffins - makes 12-16

Mix together dry ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup dry uncooked millet
3 tsp. poppy seeds
grated zest from one large lemon
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Separately, mix together the wet ingredients and whisk well:
1 cup plain yogurt (if you're using Greek yogurt or very thick yogurt, dilute with milk to make the consistency of thick buttermilk)
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
juice of one lemon

Gently combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring just until mostly mixed - lumps and floury bits are fine (tough muffins from overmixing are not fine).

Fill paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full.
Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, until muffin tops spring back when gently touched.  Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove to finish cooling.

The next recipe revision upped the baking powder a little.  Better puff.
In my experience, adding uncooked millet to baked goods is like adding nuts.  It's not part of the flour chemistry.  If you don't have uncooked millet, I think you can safely leave it out of these muffins.  I keep millet on hand for this casserole and this hot cereal, if you need a gentle push towards buying millet. I like my family to eat more grains than just wheat, rice, and oats.

Pin It

5 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

Ooo, that looks good. And way to go on creating your own recipe!

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I agree with you 100% about using oils in quick breads instead of butter.

These muffins look good. I've been adding millet to my yeast breads lately sometimes, especially rye. I like the crunch.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Looks yummy... Will have to try. Thanks for sharing.

Christian @ Modobject at Home said...

Mmmm! I appreciate the no glaze part of this recipe. Too fussy and sweet for breakfast.

loves2spin said...

Oh, my goodness! What a coincidence! I just happened to read your comment on my zipper replacement tutorial, and thought I'd take a look at your blog and here I found this nice recipe! Just exactly what I've been hoping for lately. I bought some poppy seeds not long ago and was wanting to make lemon seed cake, which I've never done before, but now I'm all ready! Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails