Monday, March 26, 2012

The Week in Suppers: mid-March

Monday: My husband cooked Red Lentil Coconut Curry (Simply in Season with the spices amped up). Raisins, sunflower seeds, and cilantro as toppings. Rice. Pickled lemons.
notes:  This recipe makes a big batch - we're having round 2 tonight for supper.  I have never told you about our pickled lemons!  It's a recipe from Julie Sahni.  They are fermented and keep in a glass jar on the counter for months - years, I bet. (I think they freak my extended family out a little bit).  We adore these pickled lemons and have to limit ourselves to one or two at a time because they are very salty.



Tuesday:  Back-yard dandelion with hot bacon dressing.  Roasted potatoes. Sour cherry cobbler.  Vanilla ice cream.
notes:  I like to have dessert with light meals. I also baked bread and made yogurt today.

Wednesday:  My husband made two stir fries:  one with bok choy and radish tops over rice, the other with cabbage, carrots, and peas over noodles. 
notes:  My husband usually cooks on the nights I get home from my job minutes before dinner. He is the stir-fry king.

Thursday:  supper club (a fabulous pumpkin lasagna with mushrooms - I'm getting the recipe)
notes: I love to cook, but I also love the extra hour or two on nights I don't cook.  I sewed instead.

Finished this French press cosy for my etsy shop!

Friday:  My husband and I had dinner out at one of my favorite restaurants to celebrate a friend's birthday.  At home with grandparents, the kids ate black-eyed peas, corn muffins with honey, and dandelion with hot bacon dressing.
notes:  Am I really an introvert?  Or maybe I just have wonderful friends.



Saturday:  Southwestern Corn Chowder (Simply in Season) made with roasted corn from last summer's corn roast.  Avocado.  Cilantro.  Cheese quesadillas.  Salsa from the Bowmans.
notes:  It was a rainy day and the soup was perfect. . . .but wow, I thought I made a big batch and I only have a pint left over.  I used up a lot of freezer food to make this meal, though.  I also made bagels today.

Sunday:  Make-Ahead Chicken Casserole.  Cranberry applesauce.  Green salad with vinaigrette.
notes:  I repeated the menu from the February fundraising meal. A comforting meal with an interlude to help friends who got a flat tire in front of our house.

Thanks to Carrie for the title and content idea!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This was fun to read - I like the notes : )
I think I'm energized by time with my really close friends, but in a room full of people I'm only acquainted with, I'm ready to go home way before my husband is!
Those lemons sound a little strange...but I do like pickled artichoke hearts.

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

A lovely, inspiring post. The pickled lemons intrigue me. The professor and I recently enjoyed an appetizer at a fancy restaurant that included thin lemon slices, deep fried... they were placed in a basket of fried shrimp, calamari, and oysters. What a delicious complement to the seafood! Very tasty.

Tracy said...

Hmm...I've never heard of pickled lemons. And then, moments after reading your post in GoogleReader, I came across another recipe that piqued my interest. It has preserved lemons, which appear to be similar, if not the same as your lemons. I thought you might enjoy the recipe, too. It seems like something you would make.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/11/israeli-couscous-with-butternut/

Carrie Snyder said...

So glad to see I've inspired you to share your weekly menus too! The corn chowder sounds delicious -- I've never made it, and I have Simply in Season (and last summer's corn in the freezer)!

Jennifer Jo said...

Good timing on this post---I'm in the middle of making my weekly menu.

Sarah Barry said...

I too love dessert with light meals.

These sound like some yummy and fascinating suppers.