Friday, April 8, 2011

An Accidental Clean Leading to a Marker Roll

Have you noticed I haven't written about zone cleaning for a while?  It's just the dailies getting done around here recently - meals, laundry, Sparkle & Shine.  But sometimes the messes push me right over the edge and I find myself doing An Accidental Clean (Rebecca's term).


Last Saturday, I needed the hole punch and I was afraid that it was at the bottom of the children's drawer.


I meant to have Genevieve work with me, to show her a little organizational methodology, but I just couldn't bear it any longer so I ripped into it and made a very efficient job of it. . . .

until I realized the markers had no boxes or containers anymore.  The short story is that the markers remained on top of the dining room buffet, a visual to-do list, until I sewed a marker roll for them.


  The colored pencil wrap/roll was moderately successful, but I am pleased to say that this one is wholly successful. 


And cute, in my opinion.  And nice to sew something for my family for a change.

11 comments:

life in this 1880 farmhouse said...

Great idea, as long as they follow the rule of putting them back away. Organized mom's are one thing, keeping the children on the same page is the challenge.

Margo said...

I hope they partly learn by example! My approach is to let them make messes as long as the messes get cleaned up. . .but sometimes that doesn't happen.

Beth said...

I WANT ONE OF THOSE!!! For real. I'll email you about it! :-) Great work, as usual. I know it feels great to have that area under control...always helps me breathe easier!

Jennifer Jo said...

You could sell those in your etsy shop, you know.

Margo said...

JJ, there are a ton on etsy already. I tried to stick with unique things - there aren't any hanging hand towels made with vintage/upcycled linens on etsy except mine. And the ruffle scarves are my own design too. I scheduled a photo shoot this morning so I could put more in the shop, but alas, it is raining.

But, all that to say that I do special commissions for family and friends (the orange wrap, for example; and I've done baby wipes, a quilt, and just got a request for an apron).

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Very cute! A lot of "accidental cleaning" happens at my house.

Tracy said...

I do loads of accidental cleaning, too. One thing leads to another...

I never understood the idea behind the marker/crayon wraps until this post. Of course! The boxes get broken and go missing, and this way they can all stay together. LIGHT BULB!

I think it's sweet that you recognized yourself from my post. And yes, you have been in my prayers, continually. I admire the strength that you all have displayed in the face of adversity.

MichelleZ said...

Great Idea! I think that accidental cleaning happens most often here these days. Cleaning on purpose has really become a chore. ;)

I have always liked the rolls that had crayons in them. Maybe one day I will find a spare moment or break down and buy one one day.

Margo said...

Tracy, I *thought* that was us :) It really made my day. I can tell by the extra measures of grace that people are praying for us.

Another nice thing about wraps like this is that they travel so nicely. I used to round up some pencils and crayons and put them in a ziploc bag. Now I can scoop up the wrap and go! (and so much more pleasing to look at and touch than a plastic bag, wouldn't you agree?)

Miri said...

I love making pencil and crayon and marker rolls... and then I *always* somehow give them away! My own children don't own any. Isn't that silly?!

And might I add that your blog is a blessing to me. What a lovely mix of all things thrifty and homemakery and beautiful. Thanks for writing.

Gina said...

I want to do this too! I'm so tired of a particular little girl dumping the whole container! But I'm not sure my little guys would replace the markers. Too much effort!

And I'm an accidental cleaner as well! I can let things go for a while until it drives me crazy and motivates me to do something about it!
Gina