Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Floor Cloth in Time for Mud Season


We have a handy milk house bench close to the front door with boot trays under it; you sit there to deal with muddy shoes and boots. 

But between it and the front door had been beautiful wood floor and a towel thrown down to protect it.  Unattractive, ineffectual.

Enter Anna's floor cloth inspiration.


I found this linen on clearance, plus 50% off with a coupon:  $2 a yard, meaning my floor cloth cost a total of $8 because I lined it with old towels of unknown origins.


Now you can come in the front door with a big arrowed path straight to the handy bench and boot tray.  My husband is very impressed, and he has a specific design and utility sense.  Whew.



So far the floor cloth is heavy enough to stay in place (top and bottom linen layers, lined with towels) and easy to vacuum.  Rug possibilities are infinite now!


8 comments:

life in this 1880 farmhouse said...

Way to go!
Now come tackle some farm mud!!
We still have snow. Your seems to be disappearing?

Margo said...

Farmgirl, yeah, I only have city mud to deal with. You should give us all some tips on dealing with farm mud. And YES!!! our snow is mostly gone because it's been 40F the last few days.

Unknown said...

Love this idea! Do you have any problem with the towels getting so wet that it seeps through to the floor? I'd like to try this sometime : )

beth said...

great job on that rug!!

Rebecca said...

Oh, my word! That muddy little face......!

Margo said...

Eva, the floor cloth replaced a rag rug (I only use rubber backed rugs outside or on the tile laundry room floor). So if the rag rug got soaked, I hung it up to dry. That rarely happened, so I guess I'm expecting the same thing with the floor cloth. The floor cloth is actually thicker than the rag rug, too.

kim said...

Mud, mud, glorious mud.........my little ones loved making mud pies when they were small and a constant trail of mud through the hall on wet days sometimes drove me to distraction, but you seem to have solved that problem with your very cleverly placed rug......brilliant.
florrie x

Anonymous said...

Aren't you a clever miss! I am impressed and inspired. Too bad I'm in the process of packing all my rugs up, else I'd sew something together for my back hall. Brilliant!