Last year, I hunted in vain for several months for the right shade of chartreuse for living room curtains: greeny yellowy gold. Not too green, so it wouldn't like Christmas year round with the twin red sofas. Not too yellow, because the room needed a cool note. Light enough to not steal the spotlight.
I ordered several different fabrics online, but none were right. I brought home home dec samples from JoAnn's.
I went to the fabric outlet for something else. . . and found a breathtakingly perfect heavy, lustrous chartreuse with diamonds woven in. By my measurements, I needed 15 yards; all that was left on the bolt was 13 and 7/8 yards. I bought it anyway.
It took me 8 months to cut into this fabric because I did my math (I'm bad at math!) over and over again, measuring and figuring and covering sheets of paper with calculations. I'd lay the papers aside, in a kind of sewing terror, and then I'd have to start all over again when I approached that gorgeous fabric a few months later.
And I'm telling you the best part last: I got all that fabric, 13 and 7/8 yards, 60" wide, for $60! Most of the other heavy, silky stuff I was pricing was at least $20 a yard. You do the math.
The next step for the living room is new color on the walls. Right now, the walls are mushroom color because we didn't know what we were going to do in there. Then we got the red sofas, I started the Klara Annabella, and you know the rest.
And when it's all done, I will be a better photographer and I can show you the whole shebang.
4 hours ago