Saturday, May 8, 2010

Something Like a Crepe

I like to read cookbooks, so I knew that there was a recipe called "Oven Pancake" in Simply in Season, but it didn't seem that appealing and I couldn't figure out what kind of meal it fit in.
Well, lo, a friend of a friend served an oven pancake with Sausage and Greens Soup (also from SinS, as I abbreviate in my supper notebook), and epiphany: crepes! The ingredients are so similar and the texture is silky, just like crepes. I duplicated that menu, and I'm hooked.



Ben did his first helpful work in the kitchen: he grated the smoked cheddar to go on top of the pancake. He worked steadily, with absorption, and only at the end did he ask for a piece of cheese. What a guy!



Vegetable or Fruit Oven Pancake

Grease 9" pie pan or iron skillet with 1 Tbs. butter.

Have ready 2/3 c. lightly steamed or sauteed asparagus, in 1" pieces, or other vegetables (I sauteed the asparagus right in the iron skillet)

Whisk until smooth:
3/4 c. milk
2/3 c. flour (can use WW pastry)
2 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
(I added some thyme too)

Pour over asparagus and butter in skillet. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes, until puffy and golden. Sprinkle 1/2 c. grated cheese on top and serve immediately.



I will use this oven pancake for snacks, lunches, and alongside soup for dinner. Leftovers were a great snack straight from the fridge. I'm pleased at the simplicity, thrifty use for less-than-prime produce, and room for creativity.

4 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Way to help Mom, Ben, I'm impressed with your diligence.

The oven pancake sounds delicious. Don't you love simple suppers?

I just finished prepping your baked French toast for tomorrow morning. Yes, I made my own Mother's Day breakfast, but we'll all enjoy having something new and different.

Jennifer Jo said...

That's very similar to the Dutch Puff that I make. (It's a Night Kitchen recipe!) We serve it with just syrup, or sometimes with warm vanilla pudding, fruit, AND syrup.

Beth said...

I've only made an oven pancake once, and have had one at a restaurant once. I liked it!

I'd not thought of using it with a non-breakfast meal. May be pulling this recipe out soon!

Margo said...

JJ, I just came across a clipping in my kitchen notebook for a "Dutch Baby" - seems very similar to all this. I would love to have your recipe because, as you know, I'm all about the Night Kitchen method!