Friday, March 19, 2010

My Supper Notebook



As I'm cleaning up supper, I write down what we ate, with whom, and where the recipe came from in this notebook. I mark Sunday meals in red, because they're such a different process from weekday suppers. Of course some nights I forget and the whole process is very casual, but it's unbelievably helpful:

1. Gives me ideas when I'm trying to plan menus
2. Reminds me of recipes I've forgotten and which cookbooks they're in
3. A food diary like this shows our eating patterns, likes and dislikes -
fascinating to me!
4. Reminds me of good times with friends and family - always a lift.

For example:
a week in November 2008

Sunday: leftover colcannon made into potato filling (More with Less), peas, cranberry applesauce, pumpkin pie (recipe box)

Monday: Tennessee Corn Pone (Recipes from the Old Mill), collards, leftover Mennonite Bliss (jello salad from More with Less)

Tuesday: Spaghettini con Sugo di Tonno (recipe box), green salad, pumpkin pie

Wednesday: Turkey Barley Soup (Simply in Season), biscuits (More with Less), cranberry applesauce

Thursday: Roasted Vegetables (Simply in Season), green salad, Wacky Cake (recipe box)

Friday: Chili con Carne (First pack of Harley's beef!!), cornbread (More with Less), applesauce

Saturday: Turkey Barley Soup, biscuits



To switch from November to SPRING, look what's on my piano! My dad also brought me a gorgeous bunch of daffodils, and the windows are open today. Hallelujah!

9 comments:

Beth said...

Good idea, the notebook. I've always unsuccessfully find ways to keep track of menus and such...need to think about your idea...

Just printed out Wacky Cake :-)

Jennifer Jo said...

"Mennonite Bliss" sounds like a code word for "orgasm."

Did I really just write that? Sorry.

But really, I can't get past it. I crack up every time I think about it. (It's late and I only got 5 hours of sleep last night. Forgive me.)

Margo said...

Jennifer Jo, drat you! I can't stop laughing and worse, I'll have to think up a new name for that chello salat.

Simple in France said...

You're smart to make notes of your menus and recipes. I love improvising and sometimes I make something really good . . . and later I can't exactly remember what it was!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I love this idea, what a great resource for finding cooking inspiration just when you need it!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea and I especially love writing down where the recipe came from -- it's so easy to forget, especially if you found it googling.

Zoë said...

Just hopped over here from Jennifer Jo's blog. LOVE this idea. Will be scrounging up a notebook this afternoon to start this very project tonight!

BLD in MT said...

What a grand idea. I've tried various menu lists, favorite food lists, etc, but all were lacking somehow. This, I shall have to give a whirl.

Gina said...

What a wonderful idea! I have my menu plans in my planner but often not enough information to be truly helpful. I love the idea of noting where the recipe was found!

But I also know my disorganization well enough to know that I probably would never keep up with this despite my good intentions! But what a treasure for future years to have this record of every day life!
Gina