Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Unsuccessful Mustard Eggs

After good memories of eating mustard eggs on a spinach salad at a local restaurant, I used a recent glut of eggs to make some.

The children helped me peel the eggs, a first for Ben. He's peeling, not kissing, the egg.




My husband stirred up the mustard glop, using this recipe.


Then we had to wait three days.


We ate them for lunch, but they were too vinegary! I wanted them to be mustardy, so I was really disappointed.



Another day, I used the remaining two eggs to make egg salad sandwiches with watercress. I've found that actually mixing the minced greens - spinach, watercress, lettuce, what have you - into a sandwich spread makes it easier for children to manage and eat; we try to avoid The Terrible Drama When the Sandwich Falls Apart at our house.

6 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

We know all about the Terrible Drama When the Sandwich Falls Apart---good idea.

I have a mustard egg recipe in my index: more mustard and sugar and eggs, less vinegar...

http://mamasminutia.blogspot.com/2008/08/medley.html

Margo said...

JJ, brilliant! I was hoping for a lead from someboday.

Unknown said...

These look delicious!!! Knowing my boys they probably would kiss the egg ; ) I'll have to try them!!!

Beth said...

I have never heard of mustard eggs!

The egg salad sandwich with greens sounds yummy and I'm so impressed that your kids will eat it well!!

Margo said...

Eva, use the recipe link that Jennifer Jo posted above in the comments. I thought the ones I made were way too vinegary and her recipe looks more promising.

jenny_o said...

This post showed up at the bottom of today's post, Margo, and I'm so glad I came over to see it - your Terrible Drama made me smile today :)

My children are grown up but I think this is also an excellent idea for the elderly who have lost some dexterity or coordination and may have trouble chewing large pieces of greens.

Now I'm off to see the "better" recipe!