Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Old Fashioned Diapers and Wipes



My in laws gave me the best baby gift ever: diaper service. I put out a bag of dirties on Monday morning, get a bag of powder-scented diapers in return and repeat the process ad infinitum (or until baby is potty trained, you know). That's what most of our moms did in the 70s, too, so it makes me nostalgic to thump a white bag on my porch of a spring morning.

It's GREAT.

But sometimes I'm short a few diapers at the end of the week, so I fill in with disposables. Not any more! I bought a dozen unbleached double-fold diapers ($28 at a local store), stitched some bright red lines on the ends to distinguish from the diaper service ones, and I'm feeling good about my eco-footprint.



Also on the clothesline are my nifty Amish-made clothespin-roundy-thingys which are wonderful for socks, rags, napkins, and, as here, baby wipes. I used to make my own baby wipes with paper towels, baby oil, warm water, yaddah, yaddah, but just before Ben was born, I had a conversation with my grandmother:

me: What did you use to wipe poopy babies, Grandma?
Grandma: Little washcloths. I kept a stack on the changing table.
me (surprised): You mean, you used dry washcloths?
Grandma (surprised in turn): Well, no, I kept a little basin of warm water there too. The bathroom was around the corner.
me (wheels turning): I see. Thank you. . . .

So I cut up some soft squares of fabric and ran a zigzag around the edge. Now when I need a batch of wipes, I just make them the right dampness with plain water and put them in a lidded leftover container. Nothing else. We dispose of them in a little lidded container next to the changing table and about once a week, I wash them with the diaper covers and (now) a few cloth diapers.

11 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Ahhh, food for thought... perhaps once we're past the newborn 12-15 diaper changes a day stage I can make some applications. Love the wipe idea!

Robin said...

You may have already heard this tip, but a bit of aloe gel in your wipe-y water is very soothing on little bottoms, esp. after a poopy diaper. ;) And if they (heaven forbid) get some awful yeast-y rash or similar, a few drops of Tea Tree Oil should clear it right up.

LOVE the Amish-made clothespin-roundy-thingy! I'll have to see if I can find one online...

Rebecca said...

I can't BELIEVE that it took me so long to think of asking my grandmother these kind of questions. I'm convinced that asking the elders is the key to many of our current difficulties.

Rachel said...

we use a spray bottle with water in it to wet down the little wipes. and whenever we use "regular" diaper wipes, my sensitive-skinned kiddo gets a rash! yay for simple.

Adele said...

We did cloth with #1 and then due to a lousy washer have been doing disposables... oh, how I long for those cloth diaper days! I think the wipe idea is wonderful-- definitely something our washer could handle.

Jennifer Jo said...

Gorgeous photos!

I'm hankering for one of those Amish clothes-hangy thingies. I could use it during the winter to hang up our oodles of socks and mittens...

Margo said...

Robin, thanks for the tip. My son has very sensitive skin, but so far we've just used a diaper cream.

Robin and Jennifer Jo, I've seen these clothespin thingys online at sites that sell laundry and organizational supplies, but they are plastic. I hope that has changed and now you can find the sturdy wooden ones!

Rachel, the spray bottle is a great idea. That really mimics what my grandmother explained to me!

Anonymous said...

My daughter's bathroom isn't handy to the changing station. In the morning, she fills a small thermos with warm water and keeps it nearby. I think she's brilliant. She uses coconut oil to soothe sore bottoms and now that wonderful baby reminds me to rub some on his legs, too, when I change him. Coconut oil is very nourishing and mildly antibiotic. You young folks give me such hope. The world is in good hands.

Shasta said...

I made/ use my own flannel wipes also. My solution is tea tree oil, lavender oil, baby oil, baby wash & water. To warm, I hold the wet wipe in my hand for a few seconds. Much softer, nicer than bought wipes.

Margo said...

SE, what a smart way to warm the wipes! I sniff at plug-in wipe warmers, never thinking of my own hands to make it nicer.

I must say, I had no idea so many of my friends were using cloth wipes! How cool.

Anonymous said...

I know someone who makes her own two-sided wipes out of terry baby towels for a scrubby side and flannel rec. blankets for a softer side. So clever, don't you think?

Anon~ ah, yes, my crunchy friends have been singing the praises of coconut oil to me lately. I use an empty rectangular disposable wipe box, add solution and thin, cheapy washcloths from the clearance shelf--I like that they're not too bulky to get into little ones' nooks and crannies.

Robin