Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Granny's Plastic Wrap

My intellectual pursuit in homemaking recently has been trying to think like a 1930s homemaker. What did they do before tissues, paper towels, and baby wipes? (hankies, rags, and more little rags!) And those ladies did not have plastic wrap until 1953. Have you ever seen this in your grandmother's fridge?



To be ecologically correct and frugal (I love how often those two coincide), set a plate on top on top of bowls instead of plastic wrap. When I'm buying a container, I try to make sure it has a lid too, for easier storage. . . .but I still have a roll of plastic wrap in my drawer.



Bonus: vertical storage in my crowded fridge!

5 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

I use shower caps. And plastic wrap. Plates on bowls make me nervous---too easily knocked over and spilled by little hands (or big hands).

I have the very same OJ container...

Meghan said...

I do this too!

Rebecca said...

My grandmother always did this and she used pastel, speckledy Melmac plates. Which, you'll be pleased to note, can still be purchased at any Menno housewares store. My grandmother's were pink and the modren ones are green, blue and beige. Guess we can't have everything.....

Rebecca

Deanna Beth said...

Oh, the pink Melmac plates were on bowls in my grandma's fridge. Have ya seen the sets in the antique stores of square or rectangular glass containers with their fitting glass lids? That's what I think I'd like.

Margo said...

Deanna Beth, yes, I own some! They are called refrigerator dishes. If you look closely at my second fridge pic, you can see a blue one with a clear lid on the right hand side of the bottom shelf. I LOVE them.