Thursday, March 18, 2010

Filling the Cookie Jar: ANZAC Biscuits

I finally understand what the cookie jar is for: kids with rosy cheeks and grimy fingers, smelling like fresh breezes, saying, "I'm hungry!" I like to hand them something quick, filling, and relatively nutritious. Occasionally I wipe their hands first.
This week, it was ANZAC Biscuits, which came to me from Rebecca who tweaked it off of Martha Stewart. The story goes that the cookies (biscuits, in "British") are good keepers and the railway workers took them along as they worked out in the wilderness for weeks.



Anzac Biscuits

Mix in a bowl:
2 c. WW pastry flour
1 and 3/4 c. rolled oats
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. unsweetened coconut
pinch salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 to 1 c. chopped nuts

Melt together:
3/4 c. butter
2 Tbs. Lyle's syrup (I do use Lyle's but I suppose you could try honey or corn syrup)

Dissolve together:
3/4 tsp. baking soda
6 Tbs. boiling water

Now, add the water/soda to the butter/syrup. Then stir into dry ingredients. Drop by tablespoonfuls very well spaced on nonstick or parchment lined cookie sheets. Flatten a bit. Bake 12 minutes at 350. Allow to rest for a minute on the sheet before removing to rack to cool. Makes about 3 dozen.

Clearly I got the raw cookies too close.

No comments: