Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fake Sushi, But Not For Long!



I didn't have sushi until I was in college, but it was love at first sight. I crave it pretty often. So, like any thrifty person, I have made it at home. But I don't really follow all the steps or use all the right ingredients. This week as I made my fake sushi, I vowed to change.


(Please note Ben's runny nose. After a time, I just give up. Then I wipe it again.)

I am going to buy sushi rice and mirin. I'm going to read the book my mother got me and learn to use the bamboo rolling mat. I love sushi so much that I do want the real thing, not just a hasty attempt at the flavors. My family loves it too. In true fake fashion, we ate our sushi with Chinese Hot and Sour Soup. Yum.




Fake Sushi - get it while you can!!

On slightly undercooked white rice, sprinkle some rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Cool. Mix in toasted sesame seeds.

Spread rice on sheets of sushi nori. Put some stuff in: slices of avocado, shredded radish or carrot, cucumber, fish, or egg omelet. Roll it up. Cut it if you're feeling fancy.

Dip in wasabi and soy sauce. Again, yum.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds fantastic! I used to get sushi in Michigan that had smoked salmon and avocado in the middle.

-Rebecca

Simple in France said...

I make my own sushi too. Especially here in France, it's easier to get the supplies than to find sushi restaurants--good ones at least.