Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dark Days Week 19: Pantry Supper



It was dark and rainy. I saw the chance to use up some stock from my freezer before the warm weather makes us turn our noses up at soup. I usually think soup must have bread or crackers, but in this case, I had nothing local and was too lazy to bake local bread. So I filled out the meal with a favorite, reasonably nutritious dessert instead.

Turkey Corn Noodle Soup
I boiled up some homemade turkey stock, added some local organic frozen corn, and locally made whole wheat noodles. At then end, I snipped in some local organic spring onions and parsley, plus a dash of cayenne.


The Reasonably Nutritious Dessert
Homemade yogurt from local milk, local egg, local home-canned peaches, local whole wheat pastry flour, local butter. If you glance at the recipe, it may look like too many steps to be simple and quick, but look more closely: I don't do fancy for family desserts! This one is easy.
(prior to baking - my photo of the finished pie was blurry - oops; notice the thawing stock and corn behind the pie)




Peach Kuchen (from, what else, More with Less)

Stir together:
1 1/3 cup flour (use all or part whole wheat pastry flour)
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. sugar

Cut in:
1/3 c. butter

Pat mixture firmly into pie pan to make a crust.

Peel and slice into halves or quarters:
4-5 peaches (or 3-4 cups, canned or frozen, well drained)

Arrange peaches in crust.

Mix and sprinkle over:
scant 1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.

Pour over peaches and bake 30 minutes longer:
1 egg beaten
1 c. sour cream or plain yogurt or combination

Allow to cool a bit before serving, or chill completely before serving.

When the rhubarb comes in, use 2 c. diced rhubarb instead of peaches and increase sugar over the fruit to 1/2 c.

This is the last official dark days' post for 09-10, but no worries, I'll still be making and eating local food. I'll keep you in the loop!

2 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

I've made something similar once, but the yogurt curdled. How do you keep that from happening?

Margo said...

hmmmm. I've made peach kuchen literally dozens of times, using sour milk, yogurt, and sour cream variously - never had a problem with it curdling. I beat the egg with the yogurt - maybe if it wasn't beaten evenly, some of the egg would bake into chunks?? The beaten egg stabilizes the yogurt as it bakes and the top layer should be set almost like jello when it's done.

I can't think why yours curdled.