Friday, July 13, 2012

These Cookies Made Me Turn On the Oven

My husband and I have a little tug-of-war about cooking in the summer.  He doesn't like any cooking heat in the house at all.  I do my best, but honestly, we have to eat something besides cold cereal (which I do not consider a meal).

After I tasted these cookies from a friend, I tried to resist the urge to turn on the oven and make them.  I could not resist.  They are fantastic  - definitely in my top-5 cookie recipe roster.  The killer ingredient here is ground coffee - not instant coffee, not espresso powder, but ground coffee.  If you like the crunch and power of chocolate-covered espresso beans (I do), you will love these cookies.  The texture is firm yet chewy, with flecks of strong coffee, and a complex flavor.  If you've read this blog for any length of time, you know I don't rave about food.  Consider this paragraph my rave!  I suggest you blast your cool comfort with some oven heat and make them.

Those are cocoa powder lumps - I stirred it in by hand - my mistake.


Mocha Drops

Cream together in a mixing bowl:
1/2 c. softened butter
3/4 c. dark brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1 egg

Add and beat until combined:
1/4 c. sour cream or plain yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. cocoa powder

In a separate bowl, stir together with a whisk until fluffy and combined:
1 3/4 c. flour (I used 3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour as the 3/4 c.)
4 tsp. ground coffee - not instant - I used decaf
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

Stir dry ingredients into butter mixture until combined.  Drop in 1" lumps (I use an eating teaspoon) onto parchment-lined cookie sheets.  Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes until edges are set and middles are still soft.  Allow to sit on hot cookie sheets for 1-2 minutes to firm up to remove to cool on wire racks.  Makes 3-4 dozen.

7 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

It's a good rave.

Also, it's so cold (relatively speaking) today that my kid is begging me to light a fire, so...

jodi said...

Oh my gosh... seriously?! Those might be my dream come true cookies. I'm definitely making them this weekend, hot weather or not. :)

Unknown said...

Coffee and chocolate cookies - perfection!!! This is on my "must make today" list : )

BLD in MT said...

I have the same summer heat/cooking struggle with Matt. It is compounded by the fact I work in a nice air conditioned library all day whereas he works in a blasting hot warehouse all day. I guess that makes me more agreeable to heating up the house...just a bit...in the interest of a yummy meal...or cookie! He doesn't not agree.

Sarah Barry said...

oooohhh la la! I adore coffee as a baking ingredient. I really hope to try these soon!

Jennifer Jo said...

Listen up, folks! She had GOOD reason to rave. Make the blasted cookies NOW.

Margo said...

JJ, YAY!!! So glad you loved them!