Monday, July 9, 2012

Another Great Granola

I thought I had found my one and only granola, but no, here's another one we love.  It's modified from a recipe I found in Fix-it and Forget-it Vegetarian.



Granola

5 c. rolled oats
3 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 c. sunflower seeds, preferably raw, unsalted
1/2 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. shredded coconut
1/2 c. chopped nuts
generous pinch salt
scant 1 c. oil
1/2 c. water

Mix everything together well in a big bowl.  Spread into two 9x13 baking pans.  Bake at 300 for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  Allow to cool undisturbed.  Store at room temperature in airtight container.

We are eating our granola with exquisite little apricots right now.

Unfortunately, there aren't many days when I want to turn my oven on this summer.  I followed an idea on Pinterest for making granola in my slow cooker.  It worked very well!  I mixed up a half batch of my first-love granola.  I put it in my slow cooker outside, lid on, on high.  I stirred every 20 minutes.  Then when condensation appeared on the underside of the lid, I cocked the lid and kept stirring with the cooker on high.  It was done in maybe 2 hours.  The finished granola is crunchier and drier than my original recipe, maybe because of the longer exposure to heat, even moist heat. 

4 comments:

BrotherDearest said...

in response to the "crunchier and drier" thought, I would guess a crock pot is probably more effecient at passing heat energy into its contents than just sitting someting in the hot air inside an oven. A crock pot is much more contact heating. Maybe don't cock the lid next time, to keep some extra moisture in?

Margo said...

Well, I thought maybe the oats + moisture would start making oatmeal instead of granola! I think I was mainly surprised that something could GET crunchy in a crockpot.

Unknown said...

Wow - I'm impressed with the crock pot idea! I'll have to try that : )

Sarah Barry said...

I have plans to make granola in the morning. Now you have me wanting to run out for some shredded coconut. Yum.