So I sewed myself another blue one, this one in a lovely medium-weight cotton chambray from the creative reuse shop. Recently I used some of it as a border for Ben's quilt and realized how lovely it felt.
I used a 1970s pattern for the new skirt. It was pretty easy to sew, although I think the fabric should be lighter weight to hang better.
I feel like my mom in the 70s - a good, nostalgic feeling. Just need a farmer hanky over my hair!
|Thanks to my husband for the skirt-in-action photos - so much faster than me with the tripod.|
I test-drove the skirt by canning pickled beets the first time I wore it. I'm ready, skirt-wise, for canning season.
By the way, instead of tossing the beet cooking liquid, I just made it up into more pickling brine. Then I froze it in jars. I'll use it to make pickled red beet eggs this winter. Thanks to Rebecca for the idea! Also, thanks to Rebecca, I composted the beet stems today. I couldn't figure out how to get them soft without losing their flavor. Tamar Adler would be disappointed in me.