Monday, March 19, 2012

A Refreshing Little Break

A weekend away, the first in a new place that we've ever really done, just our little family. 



Oh, how we needed it! 

And what a wonderful discovery:  our children are pleasant company, easy travelers!  They're not babies anymore - they don't need naps and if we space the food right, they don't have meltdowns. 

My friends, we are a recharged little family.


To keep our weekend reasonable, we stayed in an inn for off-season rates close to a national park. We went to the free museums and skipped the expensive wax museum.  We did lots of free hiking and water-play.  We were active!


Also, I packed four meals, and we ate out for just three meals, with only one of those being a dinner.  I can go into more detail in another post if you really want to know - I jotted down some notes for myself in my supper notebook when we got home.


Home.  I am so happy.

9 comments:

kyleann33 said...

Your weekend away sounds wonderful! I would be interested in knowing about the meals you took with you. With Alex's food allergies it's easier for us to take meals with us when we travel, and I'm always looking for good ideas!

BLD in MT said...

How wonderful! I am so happy for you all! It can be so nice to get away for a while, but only if it is recharging and not one of those I-need-a-vacation-to-recover-from-my-vacation types.

Deanna Beth said...

"Our children are pleasant company." - I love it!

Antonia said...

Always interested in meals to take away with us, we have five kids and eating out on trips is expensive.

Jennifer Jo said...

That sounds delightful! I'm thinking we need to do a family outing sometime in the near future. Your recap inspires me.

Jacinta said...

Oh a little getaway always is fun ... even if it's just a weekend. Must do one soon. xo

Polly said...

How wonderful! I can 'hear' the refreshment in your post. What a treat and a blessing. I also look forward to the 'bigger kid' trips--I love babies, but they are harder when it comes to travel, I think. Trickier, what with the naps and all. I'm so glad you got to have a getaway with your sweet family!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Hooray for a refreshing getaway! Sometimes it's just SO nice to get out of town.

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

What a wonderful getaway. Sounds very refreshing!!
Even though our kids are grown and gone with families of their own. My husband and I still, choose to take some meals with us.It is nice to have the quiet time alone and just enjoy the different views.. And when we do go out to eat, it is much more special..
So proud you enjoyed your trip. I love,love,love the photo of the kids together. Beautiful!!