Thursday, March 1, 2012

Everyday Life

A stack of pretty hankies and napkins, folded, fresh from the line.  Ben adores his "Jack be nimble" hanky.

My happy boy, absorbed in a new book about cars from Marilou.


And also happy with the "people price."  This is a vintage Fisher Price set from ebay, not from my childhood.  I had to watch and patiently for a long time to get a set at a reasonable price - and that because the A-frame house door is a little broken.



I had some funny cooking trials recently.  Pictured here are "buckeyes" - supposed to be a fried egg in a middle of a pancake.  They were tasty, yes, but difficult to flip and unattractive.  I think my batter should have been thinner so I could have controlled it more when I poured it around the egg.


And one morning I forgot to put baking powder in the Cinnamon Flop.  A true flop.  The children didn't mind, but my husband and I realized we do really prefer a good chemical leavening agent.


The real part of this sewing project was wondering if it was worth it.  My husband had a broken separating zipper in his biking jacket and both of us, confident in my zipper prowess, thought I could fix it.

Ha. It was not easy. 

There was a wind flap behind the zipper.  There were 5 seams holding in each side of the zipper (meaning I had to rip out 10 seams to get the zipper out).  The zipper I got was not as long and also opened on the other side - but I didn't realize that it opened on the other side until I had already put one side in backwards.  (Are you confused?  I was - and disgruntled).



The zipper did get done.  And it does work and look fine.  But I still begrudge all my time in that project - makes me remember my old life where I just threw things away when they broke!

Joining Leila and Rosie's collection of everyday contentment.  An excellent way to look at my days.

14 comments:

*kate said...

I love the hankie! And I don't think repairing zippers will ever be something I am up to. Good for you for working through it!

christinethecurious said...

zippers are really hard: I wish they'd use better quality ones in the first place.

Misty said...

I had that same A-frame house as a little girl. I absolutely adored it but forgot about it til I saw your photo. Great memories!

Rosie said...

I've been remembering some of those old Fisher Price toys and wondering how dedicated I'm going to be to getting my hands on them. So much fun!

And that hankie is adorable.

Tracy C. said...

I love vintage hankies and the vintage FP stuff. Do you use the hankies in projects or as they are meant to be used? I have some that I had set aside for projects, but have been put to use as real hankies instead...

Margo said...

Hi Tracy! We use the hankies and don't keep boxes of tissues around.

Sylvia said...

Congratulations on not letting the zipper get the best of you! There is Virtue Value in a project like that. And I also think it's fine to cast things back into the abundant stream. Someone else might think a jacket that only needs a new zipper is a real find.

BLD in MT said...

I wonder how many happy hours I spent playing with my FP "Little People." Oh how my sisters and I enjoyed them!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who occasionally has the thought "This was so much easier when I just threw thing away without a second thought." Don't get me wrong, I'd never choose to follow that philosophy these days and I am sure its the same for you. Still, sometimes I am nostalgic for the ease....mostly when I am in the middle of a repair that is not going as well as I hoped.

Way to power through.

maria said...

Lovely, lovely day you had Margo.

m.

Lisa said...

Margo, I have nominated you for the Liebster Blog award - just warning you! :)

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Sigh, I love vintage Little People... and pretty hankies. But, I'm scared to death of zipper installations.

Margo said...

hi Lisa - thank you. I never heard of the award - can you tell me more?

Lisa said...

Sorry, Margo! This woman's post explains it pretty well - http://colleenspiro.blogspot.com/2012/02/liebster-blog-award.html

You pass it on to five blogs you like - blogs with fewer than 200 followers - in a post, giving a link back to where you got it from. Copy and paste the little button into your post, also. And leave a comment to each of your favorites telling them of the award.

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Love the hankies, so pretty..
Congradulations on finishing the zipper..Eeeeeh... I hate this kind of patching.ha