Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Best Salad for Potlucks

Summer potluck season is winding down, but you never know when you want an easy, tasty salad that can handle no refrigeration.  I got this recipe from my Aunt Elena, after walking around a reunion carrying the empty bowl, looking for the person who made the delicious salad.  She did.  And now I do too.



Curried Couscous Salad

Stir together in heat-proof bowl:
1 3/4 cups couscous
2 1/4 cups boiling water
1 Tbsp. curry powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
juice and zest of half an orange
3/4 cup sweetened, dried cranberries.

Stir occasionally until water is absorbed (10ish minutes).

Add:
3 Tbsp. olive oil
4 scallions, chopped
handful chopped parsley
juice and zest of half a lemon
3/4 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
fresh ground pepper, to taste

Serve at room temperature.

I almost finished the leftover salad until I remembered to take a photo - and then I was running around the house doing something related to laundry or canning.

5 comments:

Anna said...

This salad is just my style! And I do love curry...

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Not too much chopping! This salad sounds lovely. I do believe the cranberries and curry can carry it quite nicely into early fall.

Jacinta said...

Ha, we're having cous cous with our dinner now. Instead of water I use vegetable stock and then add some cummin and chickpeas so it's more of a morrocan style... tastes good hot or cold.

Polly said...

Oh yum. You read my mind. Lately I've been thinking that I'm a Potluck Loser because I'm so unimaginative about good dishes in the summer. My go-to autumn dish is couscous, red onion, butternut squash and chickpeas with a tahini sauce, but it seems too cold weathery for summer potlucks. I end up defaulting to veggies and dip/hummus--healthy but boring.

I'll try this!

Margo said...

hey Polly, post your recipe - it sounds good. I only have a summer potluck dish. Every cold weather potluck I have to figure it out again.