Wednesday, September 1, 2010

We Had a Cool Snap

But now it's gone.  Before it left, we had The First Pumpkin Pie and The First Apples.


My daughter adores pumpkin pie more than I do, which is saying a lot.  She has been begging for it for months, so I promised her that the minute butternuts appeared on market, I would make her a pie.  The butternuts appeared last week.  The weather was cool enough for a quilt on the bed at night, so I cheerfully baked those pumpkins down, put most of them in the freezer for future pies, and baked Genevieve her pie.  (She is at the funny self-conscious stage where she can't smile naturally for the camera).


She was thrilled.  And the recipe is my own, cobbled together after lots of experimenting a few years ago, so I'm very proud of it.  I realize that opinions vary regarding pumpkin pies, so I'll tell you that mine is dense in a creamy, satisfying way, spicy and not over sweet.


And the fall apples are in.  These are Ginger Gold apples with a lone Fuji left from last week.  The summer apples are nice for making sauce if you are crazy enough to want to do that in the middle of summer, but I'll be making applesauce towards to the end of September when I'm in the mood. 


Margo's Pumpkin Pie

Blend in blender under totally smooth:
2 c. cooked pumpkin, well drained
1 1/2 c. heavy cream (or evaporated milk, if you must)
2/3 c. dark brown sugar
2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk (or if you're in a rush, 3 eggs will do)
1/2 tsp. salt
scant 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon

Pour into prepared 9" deepdish pie crust.  Bake at 425 for 15 minutes; reduce temp to 350 and bake an additional 30-40 minutes until pie is not jiggly in center.  Cool or chill for at least 2 hours before serving.  Can also bake in a buttered casserole as a custard - keep the depth to 4" or less.

There's an unguarded smile, bless her pea-pickin' heart.

6 comments:

kim said...

I must admit that I have never tried pumpkin pie....yours looks lovely. I'm wondering......does it have to be butternut squash or will any pumpkin do?
florrie x

Margo said...

Florrie, I think any winter squash will do - around here, those are butternuts, crook necks, Hubbards, etc. Do not use summer squash (zucchini, patty pans) for this pie. If you try it, let me know!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I don't know that I've ever baked a pumpkin pie but I very well could be doing it this fall as my second born has become obsessed with having one. I like that you used butternut instead of an actual pumpkin; I like butternuts better.

Unknown said...

Mmmm! Pumpkin Pie is my favorite too! I'll probably be making mine from the pumpkin in my garden sometime this Fall : )

Anonymous said...

Butternuts are my favorite...more than pumpkin. And I really like the sound of your filling. I will have to try it! (even though I'm sweaty and almost prostrate from the heat.)

Polly said...

Lady, I am baking this pie as the Pie of Honor for a friend's wedding on Sunday afternoon! I've never baked a pumpkin pie but felt SURE I'd seen a go-to recipe somewhere on your blog. The heavy cream and eggs will be delivered by my milkman tomorrow and now I just have to figure out a crust. (eek!)

So excited. Thank you for your Record--it sure helps me, too!