Friday, September 24, 2010

Fruit Fly Success! and Gloating

All of a sudden, fruit flies appeared in my kitchen two weeks ago, even though I was still washing dishes and keeping my summer fruit in paper bags.  My friend A called me about her fruit flies and I described what I had done in the past, but I didn't think it would work.  Put some cider vinegar and a drop of dish soap in a jar with tiny holes punched in the lid.

She did it and called back with glee to tell me they were gone.  So I set my trap too, and in a matter of a few days, the fruit flies were gone.

And we developed a sick favorite activity of holding the jar up to the light and swirling it around to see all the dead fruit flies.  I tell you, compared to other things going on in my life right now, this was so satisfying to solve.  A problem observed, solution proposed, materials obtained, a bit of waiting, BAM! all fixed and gloating.

Let's finish on a prettier note:

9 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

I'm doing the fruit fly treat right NOW. They're awful!

Very cute last note. I love hair buns (must clarify which kind of bun as I don't want to be perceived as a pervert) on little girls---I wish my girls would let me fix their hair up like so.

Unknown said...

Yes. I too have set the trap - must be the season?! Love to see their little dead bodies floating in the bottom of the bowl ; )

Tracy said...

I could have used that tip about a month ago when I was canning 7 bushels of pears. Now, to file it away in my memory...

Sylvia said...

And no toxic chemicals! Well done! Any suggestions for stink bugs?

Margo said...

JJ, I feel so fortunate to have a daughter who likes to have her hair done. Alas, we often don't make much time for it in the morning and so she gets 2 ponytails which is fast.

Eva, yes, they appeared all of a sudden for me too.

Sylvia, I know, isn't it great? I've seen about 2 stink bugs this summer, but I've heard some people are covered with them. I hope somebody has a tip for you!

Anonymous said...

I have had fruit flies all summer! They are the BANE of my existence. I'm going to set up one of your traps RIGHT NOW, because they're making me insane. (Evidence of said insanity: my overuse of the caps lock.)

We don't have any stink bugs though. My mom (in PA) had one bite her on the ear last night. As if the stink wasn't bad enough.

Deanna Beth said...

What a pretty picture. The girl, not the Death in a Jar. BTW, you totally don't need the holey lid. The fruit flies will happily drown themselves in the dishsoap for the chance at swilling apple cider vinegar.

Thanks for your post. I miss you when you're gone.

kim said...

Well done on getting rid of your pest........I have heard of a fruit fly before but never a stink bug.......sounds very bizarre, almost as strange as the "daddy-long-legs" (crane flys) we get over here at the end of summer.
Lovely summery picture. Thanks for the comment on the pincushion.
florrie x

Laura said...

I love that solution to the fruit fly problem and will have to remember it. SO easy!