Monday, May 10, 2010

Sunday Dinner: Rhubarb Chutney



For Mother's Day, my sister and I put together an evening party for our mother (which included an aunt, cousin, and my in-laws). That wasn't until 5pm, so I wanted to have a light Sunday dinner. My cupboards were getting bare, so I made dahl (curried split peas from More with Less) and rhubarb chutney on Saturday and then put brown rice in the oven on timed bake Sunday morning.



The rhubarb chutney was great! It reminded me of the apple chutney I make and can in late summer (from Simply in Season) which involves lots of spices, chopping and peeling, and a long time simmering down before the actual canning bath. I'm really in love with rhubarb this spring and I'm going to plant a crown this week if I can get my hands on one yet.

Rhubarb Chutney (tweaked from a newspaper insert called "Relish")

Bring to boil:
1/3 c. apple cider vinegar
3/4 c. packed brown sugar

Add and simmer, uncovered, until rhubarb is tender and whole mess is thickened (less than 10 minutes):
4 c. chopped rhubarb
1/2 c. raisins
1/4 c. gingerroot, peeled and minced
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
5 black peppercorns

Serve at room temperature and keep leftovers in fridge. Makes a little over 2 cups. Serve with curries, cheese, or grilled meat.



The rhubarb chutney is to the left there. For some reason, all of the photos of Sunday dinner were blurry and not in an artistic way, so that's the best photo I have of the finished product.

2 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I'm loving your pyrex! You come up with the most creative menus. And, I really like that last photo in an artistic way!

Margo said...

Christian, thank you! Since I've tried to not add plastic to my kitchen for a year now, I realized pyrex is such a workhorse.