Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Reading For My Book Clubs



For one of my book clubs, I recently read (most of) When Everything Changed by Gail Collins. Fascinating history. It reinforces why my mother went to seminary in her 60s and why my mother-in-law asks me when I'm going to get my master's degree. I finished up a dishcloth during discussion.



For the other book club, I read The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I liked it because it included lots of domestic details; in fact, I wanted to bring you a quote, but in the heat of reading (it lured me into staying up til 1am one night finishing it!) I didn't write it down and then I forgot and returned the book to the library. The book is about "the help" (black maids) in the 1960s in Mississsippi. Fortunately for my budget, I was able to check both books out of my library.

What are you reading? Liking?

11 comments:

Deanna Beth said...

I read The Help this winter and just loved it. I'm glad I bought it so I can hang out with those women again some day.

Jennifer Jo said...

Right now: The Lacuna.

Very, very soon: The Help. (!!!)

Rachel said...

the help was so good! i hope you can come on tuesday to discuss!

Margo said...

Rachel - sighhhhhh. I have to tutor.

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I read and enjoyed The Help late last year. Stockett nails so many aspects of deep south culture, and her character development is spot-on.

I'm slowly working my way through Jane Brockett's "The Gentle Art of Domesticity" and am loving it... a beautiful book, beautifully written. I'm also reading "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Phillip Yancey.

Margo said...

JJ, do you like it??

Christian, I can't believe you have time to read! I loved Jane Brockett's book so much. I would love to read her Ginger Beer one too.

simple in France said...

Oh how fun! You know. . .I sometimes think that a good reading club sounds just as fun a some master's level classes I've taken. Depends entirely on the situation.

I would so love to be in a book club if/when we settle down in one place long enough. It would be good for my French and a great way to get to know people. . .

Crystal said...

my family always discusses a book at our weekend family gathering. This year the book is "Shopclass as Soulcraft" It's a bit heavy on the philosophy, but the premise is interesting. It doesn't help that I'm reading it before bed when my brain isn't at it's prime for big words!

Meghan said...

I just finished Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert. The history of marriage is fascinating to me.

Rebecca said...

(blush) The New Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook (1961 version). Does that count?

Margo said...

SIF, I absolutely agree.

Crys, I just reserved that book from the library- sounds very interesting.

Meghan, after I checked that title, I recalled that I have not read Eat Pray Love. So I reserved that at my library too.

Reb, of course!