Saturday, May 1, 2010

"The Battle of the Blind Hankies"



The hymn for Genevieve's backyard church service was "The Battle of the Blind Hankies." She gave me a leaf for a hymnal and hopped up on a table to lead singing.

I could not make this up if I tried.



To the point of this blog, her shorts are a quick fun fix I did recently. Genevieve was given two pairs of jeans with ripped out knees. Rather than patch the knees and buy her summer shorts, I cut off the legs and put the pretty woven ribbon on top of the hem I made. I do like cutoffs, rest assured, but these shorts provided such an ideal blank slate for the delicious ribbon. Bonus: I got to experiment and manage the ribbon for a small project before trying to apply it to big project.



Genevieve was with me when I bought the ribbon and she insisted on something with pink or, to my dismay, purple. We compromised: I chose the red ribbon and she chose the pink flowered one. I then paired her choice with green ric rac because it was so narrow. I got the ribbon at a local fabric outlet where it was so ridiculously cheap - I think I got 4 yards for a total of $2.



Someday, if she's a songleader or a pastor, I hope to remind her of this day and this quote. . .

4 comments:

Beth said...

Very smart and cute idea with the shorts!

And the quilt is beautiful.

Adele said...

I love that story! It's true, you cannot make this stuff up.

Rebecca said...

It was at just this age that I heard Clara reciting over and over again in her room, "Jesus is jumping on the bed." Never did figure that one out.

Anonymous said...

I need to do this with some of Jack's pants. The making shorts part. I'm not sure he'd appreciate a ribbon hem.