Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Ribbon-Tied Oxfords

I had already put a pair of little girl's brown boots in my shopping cart at the thrift store, when Phoebe seized these little brown oxfords.  She insisted that she wanted them, not the boots.  I usually ignore such requests because she changes her mind back and forth about five times every time there's a decision. Literally every time.

But when I threaded ribbons in them instead of their brown laces, Phoebe and I were truly thrilled. We call them her "ribbon shoes" and she loves wearing them.  Three dollars from the thrift store and a few minutes of lacing - I'm pleased!


9 comments:

Alica said...

That's a great idea! You could change the ribbons according to the rest of her outfit...if she's really concerned about being color coordinated! :)

Becky said...

Adorable! And is that a little blue polka dot I see peeking out on the edge?

Sarah Barry said...

What a great find. Good choice Phoebe! And I love the ribbons.

Have you ever posted about tips for shopping thrift stores? I need someone to teach me their ways.

Jenny said...

I have never had luck finding shoes at thrift stores. Maybe once with a pair of dress shoes. I have boys, though, so maybe they are rougher with them and as many don't end up there? Those shoes are really cute, though, and the ribbon is flair at its finest.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, you could do that with adult shoes also.....

coleen

Margo said...

Sarah, I will try to work on a thrifting tips post! I never did one.

Jenny, I can rarely find shoes for Ben, who is 9, at a thrift store. Or jeans. But I can still find coats, dress clothes, and pajamas :)

e said...

First, I love that Phoebe wanted the oxfords! That's a serious style decision, well done youngster!
Second, I love the ribbon laces! What a great idea - wish I had thought of it 30 years ago... lol.

BLD in MT said...

My sister works for a nonprofit in Seattle (Clothes For Kids) which connects undeserved students with school clothes. The group relies heavily on donations, but she has mentioned that boy's jeans and shoes are almost always purchased new since they're so hard to come by in good condition secondhand. They get worn out! I'd never thought of it before, but...

Cute upgrade for Phoebe. I like it!

Nancy In Boise said...

I used to do that too, makes it fun!