Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Sack of Peas


Our friends called and asked if we wanted to come pick peas as their children were tired of picking and hulling.  We jumped on it.  We loved  picking peas with Jeanne on their lovely farm.



We came home with a grocery sack of peas.  It took us hours to hull them. 


I would like to report that we told jokes and stories, shared our hearts, and drank deeply of familial happiness, but this was not the case.  The kids quickly devolved into silliness that was irritating to the adults, who threatened and fumed and saw that huge sack of peas at the side.  The children's speed was about 1 pea-pod per hour.

Okay, I'm exaggerating, but it was not a great start to the preserving season.

Plus, I resentfully blanched and froze those peas on my sacred Sabbath afternoon.  There are 8 boxes of peas in our freezer.  I don't need to eat them or look at them until winter.

11 comments:

Sara said...

Ah, peas have come and gone down south here, but at the time, my kids LOVED shelling them...and then throwing them off the deck. Argh.

The ones we did eat were so good, though. I only bought a few at the farmers' market this year - next year I want to grow a bunch for freezing, as peas are one of my husband's favorites. But I won't count on the kids for much help.

Jo said...

When I was a kid in the 70s, my mother would pay 10c for every 2 litre ice cream container of shelled peas. That kept me focused on the job.

Dianna said...

My mom used to spread out a sheet in front of the TV for us to shell peas on. It did help to pass the time. Our biggest problem was eating them as we shelled them, though. They are too good!

BLD in MT said...

Ah, there is nothing like a fresh garden pea right out of the pod.

I never picked peas or shelled them as a child, but Matt has many stories of having to shell 5 gallon buckets full with his brothers.

I am sorry there were...hitches...slow help and sabbath work... but I'm glad you got some yummy peas in store for you this food-drab winter!

Polly said...

I love the glimpse of real life!!! Because it's so true. Things like that happen. Children go nuts and make things much harder!! But you'll be happy when you eat those this winter...!!

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Thanks for sharing.. This is true real life happenings. But... yummy peas are waiting for you this winter..yea.

A said...

I love your sullen savoring of the season.

I happened in on my neighbor the other evening shelling with her daughter and daughter-in-law and boy was that fun! Next time, shell with lady friends you don't often get to visit with. Not those people you have to hang out with all the live long day.

Anna said...

I'm laughing! Ahhh, the realities of life.

Sydney @ The Crepes of Wrath said...

I am so jealous! Sometimes when you live in the city, looking at photos of happy families picking peas makes you sooooo depressed (haha). Even though it probably took forever, I'm sure when your kids grow up, they will love remembering doing stuff like this.

Margo said...

Sydney! We live in a small city, downtown in a small city, even. But we went out in the country to pick our peas. We love the city, but we like to get out in the country regularly too.

Deanna Beth said...

Ha! Right? Oh the anger of produce season.