Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fixing Holes


I'm learning to darn socks by doing it.  I did read a tutorial online somewhere sometime, and I have seen a darned sock, but otherwise, I just thread my needle with embroidery thread and go at it.

My husband has not actually worn these socks since I darned them - I hope I didn't make lumpy, uncomfortable darns.  I'll report back.


A beautiful thrifted vintage blanket ($2) for one of the children's beds.  I'm not sure what this blanket is made out of, but I used a sturdy brushed cotton twill.

My little modern art patch pleases me.


And then I patched Genevieve's jeans with a darker denim heart.  I opened up the inside seam, sewed a large piece of the same blue twill  underneath to strengthen the thinned area, and then satin stitched (appliqued) a denim heart over the hole proper. 

We are halfway through On the Banks of Plum Creek and she is making a hole in the back yard:  a dugout for ants.  A dugout, like Laura and Mary's.

10 comments:

life in this 1880 farmhouse said...

Great job. Your dearest socks will be fine.

Sylvia said...

Recently, Benj got a darning egg for .50 at the Creative Reuse Shop, which he took, as a gift, for his friend in WY. One of their planned fun activities for the weekend was that he taught her to darn socks. I offered to supply the socks to learn on, but they assured me they had their own.

I love the heart patch. It's so 70's.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a hole to patch with a heart. So cute!

Deanna Beth said...

Love the jeans.

Anonymous said...

I vividly remember my grandmother darning our socks, what she would do so not to make them lumpy, is draw the thread thru back and forth (one way) then back and forth the other way but this time she was moving needle under and over thread and not pulling tight...think a weaving loom....
Hope that helps...
~~HUGS~~

Beth said...

Good job! Especially like the heart patch. Great idea!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Sister has a pair of little cotton knit pants that I love, but she has worn through the knees with her crawling. I'd been wondering what to patch them with and now you've convinced me that denim hearts are just the ticket. Cute!

Margo said...

Christian, actually, I would stick with the same kind of fabric for the patch. So if you have any scraps of knit (like a sweatshirt), use those for a patch. It will wear longer if the fabrics are the same (denim/denim, knit/knit, woven/woven). I got this tip from LiEr over at Ikatbag!

Gina said...

Wow! I've never tried darning. Now you made me want to try!
Gina

Unknown said...

hi, in my opinion, I'd say that your type of fixing holes is really interesting.

Jan from
Venus Puzzle