Thursday, May 9, 2013

My Favorite Hotpad Filler

Instead of buying batting or Insul-bright, I have been filling hotpads with towels, felted wool, old sweaters, and now, my favorite:  old sweatpants.  Sure, they're a knit, but it's a stable, plush, flexible, 100% cotton knit.  My aunt gave me some of Uncle Tom's old sweatpants that she had cut apart (I'm not sure why - come to think of it, I am quite curious about that).  I stuffed them in my stash because I didn't need any more rags.  One day I used them as filler for hotpads and I was quite pleased.  Towels are a bit stiffer, harder to quilt, and a whole lot messier when cut.

 

I took a new batch of things to the local museum store that consigns my things.  Included were two new items the manager requested:  French press cozies.  The cozies are two layers thick of sweatpants, machine quilted, with a lovely loft.  I am pleased with the patchwork and the design, which I carefully measured so it works on various French press models.



one of the sets of hotpads for the museum store

12 comments:

Lisa said...

Your hotpads are all beautiful - a museum store is just the place for them.

Jennifer Jo said...

Those hotpads in your shop? Insanely adorable!!!

Julian said...

Youre so resourceful! And talented too! I like the blue cozy.
Christina

Rozy Lass said...

Yes! I think they are the prettiest hotpads in the world. Such a darling combination of prints. Thanks for sharing the tip about old sweat pants (or shirts for that matter) I have some of those and was wondering what to do with them. Your generosity at sharing ideas is much appreciated.

jenny_o said...

All of them are SO pretty. I love your quilting. The colours are always attractive and interesting together.

I have been thinking of using old 100% cotton knit sweaters for my first attempt at hotpads, and was wondering if you've ever done this, and if so, what the insulating properties are like. I don't want to make them as gifts and then find the recipients are getting burned.

jenny_o said...

P. S. I am asking about sweaters, not sweatshirts - just to clarify.

Meryl said...

What a great way to recycle! I use old dish towels for batting in quilted baby bibs--works amazingly!

Margo said...

Jenny_o, yup, I've used old cotton sweaters as batting (the post is here: http://thriftathome.blogspot.com/2012/06/what-to-do-with-old-cotton-sweaters.html)

If you are machine quilting, I do recommend using a walking foot so your layers don't shift around, and pin the layers well. Also, I usually sandwich nontraditional filling inbetween 2 pieces of lightweight woven fabric before adding the exterior patchwork. I rarely use a single layer of batting/filling in my hotpads.

So, yes, I think the insulating properties are just fine with 2-3 layers of material as filling. I do like to have different thicknesses and flexing properties in my hotpads, too. The danger, in my opinion, is if a hotpad gets wet because then it conducts heat much more quickly!

jenny_o said...

Thanks so much for explaining the process; it is a great help, especially the advice to add another woven layer before the patchwork. I wouldn't have thought of that. I was also thinking of the need to keep the hotpads dry for best insulation, and will keep that in mind.

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

What a great idea , to use the sweatpants as your hot pad filling. I will try this. Thank you for sharing.
and yes , your potholders are beautiful!!! I love them.

Unknown said...

Wow those look great! I'll be making some soon :)

BLD in MT said...

I made my very first pot holders last month. I used insulbrite, as that was what I was told to do. I like this approach better though. Reuse! Non-synthetic! Cool. Thanks, Margo.