Monday, December 10, 2012

Apple Breakfast Pizza Again

I thought I could improve the apple version I made before and yes, it is even better.

Blueprint:

homemade whole wheat pizza dough on bottom
diced apples (some with the skin on) tossed with a smidge of flour, sugar, water and cinnamon
grated sharp cheddar cheese
chopped walnuts
sprinkle of oatmeal streusel (butter, oats, brown sugar, salt)

I prepared the apples first and put them in a covered casserole in the preheating oven.  The idea was to get them a bit softened and juicy from the moist heat, to be the saucy part of the pizza.  It worked a treat. 

I loosely followed my favorite apple crisp recipe for the apples and streusel, keeping the butter on the scant side in the streusel so there wouldn't be too much grease floating around in addition to the cheese.


 
I'll play with it a few more times and maybe I'll have an actual recipe to give you.  Right now, the only thing I can give you here is inspiration and encouragement to play with the pizza elements.  I do so adore breakfast.  And mornings. 

4 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

What about a smattering of diced fresh cranberries for color?

Margo said...

ooooh, you are smart! Plus that little tart flavor would be nice with the cheese and sweet apples.

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Yummy... My hubby would love this one..Apple pie is his favorite..

BLD in MT said...

My oh my, pizza for breakfast! I will have to give it a whirl as I am sure a lady who loves her pizza!