Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Homemade Eggnog

[Please note that the pictures are cropped so you can't actually see that Ben is only wearing a tee and sweater; I like the niceties of life, yes.]



I really love eggnog, even the crazy commercial kind.  I've made eggnog a few times, but this recipe is my favorite now.  It's so lusciously light and rich at the same time.  I made it for tree-decorating last week.  Do you make eggnog?  Recommend a recipe?



[How do you like that moue, Jennifer Jo?  Totally his idea.]


Eggnog, Method II   Joy of Cooking 1954

Separate 3 eggs.

In a small bowl, whip the whites with a pinch of salt and a pinch of cream of tartar until stiff.  Set aside.

In a larger bowl, beat the yolks until light.
Beat in gradually
1/2 c. sugar

Add slowly, beating constantly
1 c. heavy cream
1 1/3 c. milk
nutmeg to taste (I used 1/8 tsp.)

Fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture.  Add a few slugs of dark spiced rum for the adults (or for the children if they're yipping and bouncing and it's bedtime). 




Clearer photos are coming soon, I hope!  I got the rest of my camera apparatus in the mail yesterday.

12 comments:

Tracy said...

I've only tasted egg nog once- and didn't like it. However, it was not homemade. And since we have our own eggs I may try this recipe. I'm not sure about the rum, either. I can't drink an alcoholic Pina Colada for not liking the rum. Too bad we couldn't make a Fuzzy Navel eggnog. Or could we???

Ah.... the magic of cropping! ;-)

Margo said...

Tracy, with your surplus of eggs, this is a great recipe for you! The amount I printed here was perfect for our 2 adults, 2 littles.

Also, I really like rum, but brandy was listed in the Joy of Cooking recipe. I bet there are other things to spike eggnog with. My mom never added any alchohol, just vanilla and nutmeg.

Unknown said...

I Love Eggnog! I don't use any alcohol and it's good : )

Anonymous said...

Silk Nog (with "slugs" of brandy, bourbon, and rum, ie 1 tablespoon each)! It's actually light (and rich)!

I can hear the soy mimics estrogen and crazy commercial critics already. :)

Jennifer Jo said...

I think your husband has found his true calling: modeling for his wife's etsy shop. Can't wait to see him in the scarves and flower pins!

Crystal said...

I love homemade eggnog, but can easily pass on the commercial kind. I think the secret to great eggnog is using freshly grated nutmeg.

I make eggnog for our family Christmas breakfast.

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I love eggnog too although I've never made it myself. Sadly, I think I'm the only one in my house that likes it. Oh well.

Concerned Foodie said...

Aww. This is what makes the holidays so special. Spending time with your loved ones. : ) I would simply offer a friendly recommendation, especially since you have young children. You might wanna try pasteurized shelled eggs. Especially when your are making cookies, cookie dough, eggnog, anything to that affect which leaves some part of the egg raw. Only reason I say this is because I am concerned with what I eat,and also look at those who I'm cooking for. With all these recent egg recalls, you can never be to sure. You should check them out.

Margo said...

Concerned Foodie, I'm very concerned and informed about what I eat and what I feed my family. That's why I buy local eggs from small farms. The chance of contracting salmonella from small flock eggs is much lower.

Anonymous said...

I ADORE egg nog. You would probably call it an obsession, and I'm not too picky that I won't snatch the first carton off the shelf at the grocery. My mother even calls me with a 'nog alert' at the beginning of the holiday season. Pathetic, I know. I'm going to have to try your recipe, of course. Even though I'd say that I've never met a nog I didn't like, one year my step-mother-in-law made a bowl full that was so strong with booze that it practically got to its feet and walked off the table. Note to self: I like a little less than half the bottle.

Deanna Beth said...

Oh dear, everyone's tweaking of an already sort of fussy recipe makes me concerned that my recipe (which I love) would be found lacking.

I use most of the same ingredients, but just slam them in a blender, whip for 30 or so seconds and serve.

Yikes.

Margo said...

DB, that's how my mother made it when I was growing up and we loved it.