Monday, April 3, 2023

A Long-Suffering Beret and a Wild Hat

I had this silvery-green wool yarn from a local shop, so not cheap. I knitted a beret. The band was much too loose, so I carefully handsewed a little knit headband inside. I wore it last winter, as in, the winter of 21-22. Great color, not a great fit. I wanted it to be a classic shape, the band not too tight or too loose, and a simple decrease. 

 I decided to undo the whole beret and knit it again with a different pattern. I did. It was a eensy-weensy beret. I almost gave up and gave it to Phoebe, but no, I took the dumb thing apart again. Now the yarn was so crinkled that I soaked it in cool water as a skein and laid it out to dry. I used the original pattern with different needles. Still NOT RIGHT. Now I read patterns very carefully, furiously, and doubtfully and finally finally finally, after knitting and re-knitting this beret over the course of the winter, I made a lovely beret that I like! The wool yarn was resilient and wonderful through this laborious process - thank you sheep, shearer, and spinner. 
Photos of me by *Phoebe*!



In a much shorter process, Phoebe and I realized one cold morning just before her bus arrived that she did not have a beanie. I was delighted to solve this problem with my stash. I had seen and noted a local artisan who knitted hats from different weights and kinds of yarn. Like yarn patchwork! Using the little bits! Phoebe was game for a wild hat, and it was SO much fun. Some of the yarn in my stash comes from balls I let my children choose at the creative reuse store as a treat for coming along. That explains this weird pink chenille yarn that becomes excellent next to the other colors and wool. There's also one little strand of eyelash yarn in there, too, making a great texture. I am definitely making more wild hats. 

4 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

Such persistence --- I salut you!

(Also, I love the name "wild hat.")

e said...

Your perseverance is impressive! And, yes, such resilient wool... so glad that it finally worked out the way you wanted. The wild hat is wonderful! As a quilter of scraps, I heartily endorse this style. Cheers to both of you!
(Also: excellent photography, Phoebe!)

BLD in MT said...

I admire your persistence on the beret project!! I've always thought it was wonderful how forgiving yarn crafts can be like that. I've unraveled and started over on so many things! I am oh so glad it paid off in the end--what a lovely hat you have there! Phoebe, too. Hooray for both scrappy resourcefulness and beautiful localness!

I need a new winter hat, now that you mention it. I've used a little felted, blue one that I got from my sister, Lisa in...oh...the late 90s. It's always been a little small for my head--barely covering my ears. I usually have a jacket hood though so it's been adequate. Matt, for the past few years, has proposed I make myself an upgrade. It usually comes up during winter camping because the thing almost always works off my head while we sleep since it doesn't fit right. I was sentimental about that hat though so I never did. BUT! I seem to have lost it in February. My hand might be forced. Though the darn thing will probably turn up the day after I make one. Still. I should prioritise that in my craft space this month.

Anonymous said...

Tenacity is a good thing! Great job on both the hats!